S-12 Stovepiping

Greetings.

Has anyone here experienced intermittent stovepiping in their S-12?

Conditions:

Not always the last round.

Winchester target load.

Gas setting 2.

Stock 22" bbl

Over 300 rounds fired before, with limited stovepipes.

With or without a buffer. It does not matter.

Greased rails always.

Possibly I aquired a bad box of ammo because this has not happened before

this box.

Thanx in Advance!

Conditions:

Not always the last round.

Winchester target load.

Gas setting 2.

Stock 22" bbl

Over 300 rounds fired before, with limited stovepipes.

With or without a buffer. It does not matter.

Greased rails always.

Try a different brand/load and see if the problem persists. One of my S-12s showed this tendency with some of the department store bulk pack target ammo, as well as Speer Lawman reduced recoil 00, most often on the last round in a mag. I just cleared the stovepipe and pressed on. If I'm just out blasting, I'll shoot the cheapest ammo I can find and not worry about a few hiccups. But for training and home-defense purposes, I make sure to use a load that's proven reliable in my gun (which, fortunately, is most of 'em!).

Take that buffer off or replace it with a thinner one. (It really makes a difference...) If you don't got any, remove some metal just ahead of ejector. ...Right where you might see some brass-scratches from previous shells. ^_^

Easies way to avoid stovepipes is to use a bit more powerful longer shells. :angel:

I'll try to take a picture...

-"JamShot"

Take that buffer off or replace it with a thinner one. (It really makes a difference...)  If you don't got any, remove some metal just ahead of ejector. ...Right where you might see some brass-scratches from previous shells.  ^_^

Easies way to avoid stovepipes is to use a bit more powerful longer shells.  :angel:

I'll try to take a picture...

-"JamShot"

Please describe this metal removal area in more detail. I haven't heard of this one before. thanks

I have the exact same problems with the winchester stuff. Its probly the 1-1/8 oz. loads with the steel base. Picked up a box from walmart, tried to save money, just caused myself a headache. My saigas will shoot everything BUT that stuff. Winchester must have needed to save loading materials. I use the S&B stuff now, it cost a little more but flawless functioning, and no more headaches.

this is the stuff, AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! (you've been warned!) :)

post-116-1125125777.jpg

My Saiga won't cycle 8 or 8 1/2 bird shot... It stove pipes when I attempt to shoot it (courtesy Wally World Winchester White Box).

OTOH, it will fire through 7 & 7 1/2 WWWWB bird shot like it was an AK47 :killer: .

All on the #2 gas port setting of course.

i guess im lucky, seeing how i can bump fire the lightest trap loads at skeet without any issues. the only thing my s12 doesnt like is the really REALLY thin hulled stuff like the wolf trap loads.

ive had 100% success with the remington peters and the win AA trap loads. the cheap walmart/100 round pack wins work well, almost never jams. wolf though... those hulls are too thin. my s12 eats the last round of wolf target EVERY time. in a big way. didnt used to do this, and i attribute it to the thousands and thousands of rounds i have fired down the gun. i recrowned that little sharp lip on the end of the chamber, and its not quite as bad as it was doing, but i wont buy wolf shotshells anymore. the hulls are too thin.

And here comes the picture.

kuva2.jpg

Area that should be lowered by removing some metel is insidide white lines. And rounding the end of rails (look at the picture...) helps too... I've already cut about 1mm off and still shells have scratched that black coating. :unsure:

-JumiKuula aka Jamshot