New Owner Report & Quesion

1. What is this lever for?

2. Bought the Saiga from Classic Arms....great deal.

3.Shot some WalMarft TulAmmo 55gr. FMJ...20 Rds/$5.00 close enough.

Ejected great,,,,no shell denting? Is that something I should be looking for?

4. Plastic Stock and Magazine???....Grrr...will replace..

5. Sights....100 yards...good..My kill zone is 200 yards...will replace the iron sights with glass....I'm getting old!!!

Overall...I love it.....and thanks to this forum for all this information.

post-39646-0-63571200-1327712712.jpg

Yea mine does too, consider yourself lucky if you're a reloader. I would go about trying to fix it....but I just love the extremely positive ejection! Most of my brass is still reloadable, so I don't find it to be a big problem, but every 10 or so shots, one gets nailed hard.

Thanks Nick & sbcman....for whatever reason I could not find any info on it......

Everything is so new....almost need a hammer to engage/move the gas tube lever.

No shell "kiss" for me....something to look out for if you want to reload...which may be phase 2 of the master plan.

I'm impressed with the penetration of the round at 100 yards on a piece on 1/8th steel.

Sights are not that bad....just need to tune it in.

Miss the days with my M60 & Abrams tank!!

Really like my Saiga as well, I'm surprised at the accuracy even though the sites aren't the best for accuracy. I didn't notice dented cases but I was shoooting steel case tula so I didn't care. I know it ejected some cartridges over 30ft from where I was shooting, gotta love a beefy extractor. I think the best thing I've done is move the trigger group, the trigger is so much nicer now. There was a lot of creep with that linkage, nice and crisp now.

Enjoy, they are lots of fun to shoot and modify.

Nice little vid. I learned how to use the tool kit in the military. Never thought much about it and guess I took for granted that most people understood how to use it.

When I got my first Saiga, I wondered about the purpose of all the holes in the tube container. I had a hunch that the AK was supposed to be pretty self-contained, and I figured the holes were purposeful, but it wasn't intuitive for me. Needed a video like this to fully spell it out.

Later when I got an Arsenal and I could store the handy tube in the buttstock, it occurred to me that the AK is absolutely awesome -- a MacGyver gun. It probably won't ever be quite as practical as my shotgun for home defense, or my subcompact for concealed carry, but I can definitely see why it's a true rebel's gun. I'll always have room for one in my gun cabinet.

Edited by Koljec
  • Like 1
Nice little vid. I learned how to use the tool kit in the military. Never thought much about it and guess I took for granted that most people understood how to use it.

When I got my first Saiga, I wondered about the purpose of all the holes in the tube container. I had a hunch that the AK was supposed to be pretty self-contained, and I figured the holes were purposeful, but it wasn't intuitive for me. Needed a video like this to fully spell it out.

Later when I got an Arsenal and I could store the handy tube in the buttstock, it occurred to me that the AK is absolutely awesome -- a MacGyver gun. It probably won't ever be quite as practical as my shotgun for home defense, or my subcompact for concealed carry, but I can definitely see why it's a true rebel's gun. I'll always have room for one in my gun cabinet.

Just use Hornady 40gr V-Max ammo. The 40gr V-Max will dump all of its energy within 9". Chances for over penetration is very unlikely with that ammo. It's my home defense load of choice. If it progresses outside I have a mag of XM855 to punch holes through their getaway car.

Just use Hornady 40gr V-Max ammo. The 40gr V-Max will dump all of its energy within 9". Chances for over penetration is very unlikely with that ammo. It's my home defense load of choice. If it progresses outside I have a mag of XM855 to punch holes through their getaway car.

Thanks -- I'll look into it -- cheaper than frangible i hope?