Just thought I'd share this.

It's Monday morning at my job, in a small hardware store, my slow day. That's when I usually get to look around on all the forums, etc.

Last night I was cleaning and found this under my bed.

P300112_0924-1.jpg

I forgot I had it - a framing hatchet that my uncle gave me sometime last year. It had a broken handle, but the head was in great shape. I figured I could take it into work and see if we had a handle for it, maybe mess around with it in my free time.

It turns out we had a handle, and I had a little free time. The handle came with a wood wedge, but I opted for some small metal ones we had on the shelf.

P300112_0933-1.jpg

After 3 minutes of pounding it on with a rubber mallet, heres what I end up with.

P300112_0933_01-1.jpg

Here's the top of the head, showing the wedges.

Then I took a palm sander and sanded all the old finish off. I thought about painting it, but it looked pretty good as is. I sharpened it with an angle grinder, and finished it off with a little sand paper. Then I put a little bit of WD-40 on it to keep it from rusting, until I can take it home and put some Flitz on it. I had a little bit of paracord in my car, so I drilled a hole in the handle, and made me a loop for carrying/hanging.

Heres the finished product.

P300112_1042.jpg

The whole thing cost me $6.37. Not bad for a Zombie Dispatching Device :D.

I really wished the project would have lasted a lot longer, or was at least a little more difficult. I have another six and a half hours at work, with nothing to do.

• Like 1

Lol thanks guys.

It's not a full fledged roofing hammer, but you can use it as one. They are pretty similar. Google image search framing hatchet, and then roofing hammer. You can use each for each others job, but the hatchet is a better hatchet, and the hammer is a better hammer. I just went and looked at an Estwing on our shelves.

Leave on your desk and tell everyone it's your letter opener.

Heh... After the anthrax scare in '01, we had to open all our mail outside the main office building in a shed. If you've ever had to deal with government security tape, you know what a pain that stuff is to deal with, and we got dozens of letter and boxes sealed with that stuff every week.

I finally gave up and brought my old 'letter opener' into the office (inside a US Navy building!): a bayonet from a Swedish Mauser. I was only asked about it once, said it was my security letter opener.

Lol i'll just tell people not to shoplift, with it in plain view on the desk. They might think twice.

That or take it to collect a bill.

Nice job, Where abouts in Ky is the store?

My buddy scored a neat hatchet/axe at a gun show. It is all steel including the handle and he had plans to modify it into some sort of tomahawk until he researched what he actually bought. It turns out it is a WWII crash axe from B-29 bomber and worth a lot more than he payed. He decided to leave it alone.