The M4 Carbine forum? I've been a member there for a couple years. I don't post much there but I will read. They have some good info, but be warned, some of the guys on there take themselves too seriously and/or are elitist. Just my opinion.

• Like 2
To be fair, AK guys are like that too. It's just "high end" is a bit lower on the AK side.

M4C is a bastion of AR snobs, yes they know their stuff forwards and backwards, yes they are an excellent source of info.

But, lord forbid you're sporting a DPMS or other AR offender of one of their Charts/Lists.

Or you're just a mere civilian plinkster, and not an Operator. (chuckles)

As for high end pricing, not at all.

Lets just take a look at a website like Atlantic Firearms and peruse prices on both the AK & AR.

While the low end of the AK price range is markedly lower than that of the AR's, the average price is just a bit lower, but the upper price ranges are pretty close.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I carried an M4 in combat......afraid to death that it wouldn't go bang when I pulled the trigger....always envied the ANA and ANP's carrying around their AK's.......

AR guys are just too anal.....take themselves way to serious........don't get me wrong, they are nice weapons, just not my style.

post-32211-0-53886300-1328424673_thumb.jpg

Edited by armory
  • Like 3

Go figure. In both Iraq and Assramistan, we re-armed the Military and Police with the AR platform which requires far more maintenence in those environments than the weapons we confiscated and destroyed. The AKs in Afghanistan were generally in pretty bad shape but still functional. I had so much time behind an M4, I did have faith in it and my abilities to make it run unlike yourself.

I'm a member of M4C but not an active poster. I usually just go on there to surf the classifieds.

Go figure. In both Iraq and Assramistan, we re-armed the Military and Police with the AR platform which requires far more maintenence in those environments than the weapons we confiscated and destroyed. The AKs in Afghanistan were generally in pretty bad shape but still functional. I had so much time behind an M4, I did have faith in it and my abilities to make it run unlike yourself.

I'm a member of M4C but not an active poster. I usually just go on there to surf the classifieds.

I can make it run....hell I was with a SEAL Team......I have faith in my abilities......just not my cup of tea....

Just remember that if you are not using a $4,500 double super extra mil-spec semi-auto AR with 15 pounds of plastic and aluminum accessories from Larue and Magpul while carrying a payload of 2,500 rounds per city block that you are traveling, you are not a true AR aficionado.

Just remember that if you are not using a $4,500 double super extra mil-spec semi-auto AR with 15 pounds of plastic and aluminum accessories from Larue and Magpul while carrying a payload of 2,500 rounds per city block that you are traveling, you are not a true AR aficionado.

Also remember if you are using a non-MILSPEC $800 Bushmaster from Walmart, it may fall apart on you and it is not chambered for the Federal M855 they are selling at the same location. I don't care who makes the weapon, as long as it meets the criteria the Military demands, it's GTG with me. Some people don't think the chambering differences or staking key components of the rifle are a big deal. As far as Larue and Magpul accessories go, call it what you like but it is the best shit out there.

Also remember if you are using a non-MILSPEC $800 Bushmaster from Walmart, it may fall apart on you and it is not chambered for the Federal M855 they are selling at the same location. I don't care who makes the weapon, as long as it meets the criteria the Military demands, it's GTG with me. Some people don't think the chambering differences or staking key components of the rifle are a big deal. As far as Larue and Magpul accessories go, call it what you like but it is the best shit out there.

It depends on what you are going to use the rifle for... If you are taking it into combat, then mil-spec is a good thing.

If you are taking it to a competition, then having a non-properly staked bolt carrier from Young Manufacturing or JP Enterprises is likely a better option than a mil-surp Colt setup because the critical tolerances for accuracy are more precise rather than needing to fit a military standard. Also, unless your class requires chrome lining in your barrel, there are much better options for accuracy than mil-spec barrels.

I am not badmouthing either Magpul or Larue, but noting that guys that weigh themselves down with dillo bottle openers,13 different sighting devices and 10 different gripping options can get excessive and is not necessary for someone going to the range to enjoy a day of putting holes in tin-cans or someone going out hunting coyotes, rabbits or prairie dogs. Add to the 15 pound rifle a multicam chest rig full of 20+ loaded magazines and a plate carrer with no plates that adds another 35 pounds is comical to watch if the person has to actually move around instead of pose with his over-priced excess.

Lastly, some of the tactics that Magpul DVD's teach require you to damn near lay suppressive fire with a weapon that doesn't serve that as it's primary purpose. If you put more than 2,000 rounds through your weapon in less than a 1 hour period you are very likely to have issues with that weapon unless it is designed for that purpose.

The fact is there are snobs on these forums that have over $5,000 in their semi-auto rifles telling people that if it isn't their brand it will disintegrate as soon as someone looks at it funny. For the guy that recreationally target shoots or hunts firing around 200 rounds a year, a Bushmaster Varminter from Wal Mart will be fine.

If they were really as bad as they say on the forums, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Olympic, Stag, Double Star and whatever other non-vogue mid-tier companies are out there would be out of business now after selling millions of weapons that just fall apart into dust at the first sign they were actually needed.

• Like 1

BD, you have valid points. Best thing for anyone wanting to depend on a cheap AR is to stake those critical items if they aren't already. True, it's not crucial for killing paper bad guys, but it is if you are actually wanting to defend yourself with it. I'd rather not have my reciever extension or gas key come apart in a bad situation. Don't confuse M4C with BARFCOM. I personally know several guys on M4C and unlike the mall ninjas on AR15, they do know what they are talking about and most have lots of trigger time in the Military in SOF or other Combat Arms specialties.

Add to the 15 pound rifle a multicam chest rig full of 20+ loaded magazines and a plate carrer with no plates that adds another 35 pounds is comical to watch if the person has to actually move around instead of pose with his over-priced excess.

408306_10150494794534926_708524925_9051515_1948037494_n.jpg

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 3

Add to the 15 pound rifle a multicam chest rig full of 20+ loaded magazines and a plate carrer with no plates that adds another 35 pounds is comical to watch if the person has to actually move around instead of pose with his over-priced excess.

408306_10150494794534926_708524925_9051515_1948037494_n.jpg

At least he has gloves on, those fries can be hot!