200 rounds of Low Brass, Cheap A!s field loads!

O.K., I went to Wallyworld this afternoon, and they had some Fed low brass #8 shot for around $4+ per box, so I picked up two boxes ( they were out of the 100 round boxes) , to make it an even 200 rounds of cheap low brass field loads that have been fed to this brand new S-12. Not nary a failure of any kind...except for this blister on my thumb! I sure will be glad when my 10 rounder gets here tomorrow! It takes a whole lot longer to load a five round mag than it does to empty it out!!

I may have a surprise around the corner waiting on me, but the way that this old girl is digesting this cheap stuff, I think I have a winner!! Get the taxes filled out tomorrow, and if there's enough to pay property taxes, and finish paying for mama's Christmas present, then it will be time to start ordering parts for the conversion!!

My wife jokingly tells my cousin that I'm having an affair, but she doesn't mind, since it's with the shotty. Heck, she wants me to get a drum for it, says it would be a whole lot better to have more rounds to fire between reloads.....now, how ya gonna argue with logic like that!bad_smile.gif

• Like 1

Gents, I will not argue with that ! I am lucky, and she is definitely a keeper...been together for 29 years this june. I'm interested in what others have been through with the MD20 ....I have been doing a LOT of reading bout the drums and that seems the way to go. She also wants one of the twin Saiga 223 drums ...likes the thought of the 100 round thang...she loves to shoot as much as me!!

A fully loaded MD-20 can be a "game changa" (pun intended) when it comes to reliability with cheap birdshot. Great reliability can be had with MD-20s in converted and non-converted S12s though, but quite a bit will need to be done to the weapon to achieve it. You may as well convert it if you are going to go into things that deeply. There are some 100 and 200 round MD-20 dump videos on youtube. Looks like the guy is achieving reliability with MD-20s and Federal bulk birdshot. Search for "Saiga 12 Flawless" wink.png

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

A fully loaded MD-20 can be a "game changa" (pun intended) when it comes to reliability with cheap birdshot. Great reliability can be had with MD-20s in converted and non-converted S12s though, but quite a bit will need to be done to the weapon to achieve it. You may as well convert it if you are going to go into things that deeply. There are some 100 and 200 round MD-20 dump videos on youtube. Looks like the guy is achieving reliability with MD-20s and Federal bulk birdshot. Search for "Saiga 12 Flawless" wink.png

WOW!!!!

All I can say is that I HOPE that I can afford that many MD20's ! Amazing video. I hope to achieve that kind of reliability with mine! After conversion, I will have to see what I can do about getting it tweaked out to do it.

Thanks so much for the link to the videos!, And thanks to all of the great ones on here for the sticky's to teach and enlighten the mind and broaden the horizons!

Because of this forum, I gathered the courage to convert my first Saiga rifle, and since , have converted all of my rifles, and several others.

The shotty brings new challenges and rewards, and look forward to taking them on, one at a time.

I hope my S-12 post's haven't come across wrong, it's just after reading about all of the problems with the porting with so many and what so many have done to get them to shoot the cheaper ammo, I was extremely excited that mine was doing it out of the box...nothing but luck on my account to get a good one and not a "vodka special", which is pretty much how my luck goes ALL of the time!! nothing.gif

• Like 1

For some reason, evl really likes those videos...

If my new camera ever ever ever gets here, there will be some far better video than that.... especially with anytime access to a 3 Gun range now.

DIE STEEL DIE!!!!

WOW!!!!

All I can say is that I HOPE that I can afford that many MD20's ! Amazing video. I hope to achieve that kind of reliability with mine! After conversion, I will have to see what I can do about getting it tweaked out to do it.

Thanks so much for the link to the videos!, And thanks to all of the great ones on here for the sticky's to teach and enlighten the mind and broaden the horizons!

Because of this forum, I gathered the courage to convert my first Saiga rifle, and since , have converted all of my rifles, and several others.

The shotty brings new challenges and rewards, and look forward to taking them on, one at a time.

I hope my S-12 post's haven't come across wrong, it's just after reading about all of the problems with the porting with so many and what so many have done to get them to shoot the cheaper ammo, I was extremely excited that mine was doing it out of the box...nothing but luck on my account to get a good one and not a "vodka special", which is pretty much how my luck goes ALL of the time!! nothing.gif

Of the ones that I actually shot before I tore them down, only one of them ran bulk ammo out of the box (5 round factory mag). I was in a state of mild shock.

The first three that I owned kicked and screamed all the way to reliability. They were all '08s. '08 was a horrible year for these , IMO. The 2011 models seem like leaps and bounds of progress for the platform, in factory configuration.

Well I have to disagree with the fact that it takes alot of work to get it to work with the md-20. I have an iz 108 that runs flawlessly using cheap birdshot with an md-20 and all I've done is shoot it. Maybe I got lucky.

A fully loaded MD-20 can be a "game changa" (pun intended) when it comes to reliability with cheap birdshot. Great reliability can be had with MD-20s in converted and non-converted S12s though, but quite a bit will needs to be done to the weapon to achieve it. You may as well convert it if you are going to go into things that deeply. There are some 100 and 200 round MD-20 dump videos on youtube. Looks like the guy is achieving reliability with MD-20s and Federal bulk birdshot. Search for "Saiga 12 Flawless" wink.png

Well I have to disagree with the fact that it takes alot of work to get it to work with the md-20. I have an iz 108 that runs flawlessly using cheap birdshot with an md-20 and all I've done is shoot it. Maybe I got lucky.

Is it in factory configuration?

Which ammo are you using?

Are you using the factory recoil spring?

Did you buy it new?

Did you leave the MD-20 at 3 turns of spring tension as it came from MD Arms?

What year is it?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

A fully loaded MD-20 can be a "game changa" (pun intended) when it comes to reliability with cheap birdshot. Great reliability can be had with MD-20s in converted and non-converted S12s though, but quite a bit will needs to be done to the weapon to achieve it. You may as well convert it if you are going to go into things that deeply. There are some 100 and 200 round MD-20 dump videos on youtube. Looks like the guy is achieving reliability with MD-20s and Federal bulk birdshot. Search for "Saiga 12 Flawless" wink.png

Did you buy it new?

What year is it?

No its converted by me with a profiled hammer from Tac 47.

I use Federal Bullk and Winchester Universal

Factory recoil spring

bought it brand new unfired

MD-20 has been untouched except for being loaded and locked into the gun

2006 model with 4 ports unobstructed.

IZ 108

Edited by incognito485

Did you buy it new?

What year is it?

No its converted by me with a profiled hammer from Tac 47.

I use Federal Bullk and Winchester Universal

Factory recoil spring

bought it brand new unfired

MD-20 has been untouched except for being loaded and locked into the gun

2006 model with 4 ports unobstructed.

IZ 108

That makes sense. Sounds like a winner.

I have a 09 model with 3 ports that will shoot anything from the shoulder or the hip with a pro mag and factory magazine i was woundering why will a gun that functions perfectly on bulk pack ammo not cycle it with a md drum.

A 20 round drum introduces quite a bit more drag on the bolt and carrier which makes it harder for the carrier to travel rearward and eject the round.

• Like 1

I have a 09 model with 3 ports that will shoot anything from the shoulder or the hip with a pro mag and factory magazine i was woundering why will a gun that functions perfectly on bulk pack ammo not cycle it with a md drum.

A 20 round drum introduces quite a bit more drag on the bolt and carrier which makes it harder for the carrier to travel rearward and eject the round.

Very true, if your gun doesn't work with an MD-20, its undergassed...

Very true. I adjusted an auto plug to my SGM mags and it wouldn't cycle properly in the MD -20. So I learned, that if you have auto plug and use an MD 20, tune it to the MD 20.