Where is all the soft point x54r???

My Mosin Nagant shoots the Silver Bear and Brown Bear 203gr soft point ammo Great!! Very acceptabe hunting accuracy, usually a 3" group w/ iron sights @ 100yds.

Problem is.....I can't find any!! My usual "On the Line" sources are backordered and only have the FMJ 174gr.

I have Tons of the corrosive surplus ammo if I want to plink with it, but the Hunting ammo is cheap enough to plink with, and I prefer sticking to 1 ammo type for consistant shooting. It pays off too! This weekend I won 2 tall boy Pabst Blue Ribbon Beers by hitting the center ring of a 3" "shoot-n-see" target 2x at 100 yards w/ iron sights and fixed bayonet(essential for accuracy). My buddy could not believe I even hit the target at all with that old Mosin.

Anyway.... Where is that ammo?!?!

I hate to even go near the "b" word, but I think I may have read somewhere that the Russians consider the heavy grain 54r "sniper" ammo and they are not letting any out of the country. This is most of the soft point ammo as it tends to be heavier. Please don't give me shit for this post as I don't want to be "that guy", just sharing info, not stating as fact. I would like to know more about this as well.

That would be a bummer. It is the flavor my Mosin likes best. I don't even want to try the American brands....at a buck-a-shot, 100 rounds costs more than my rifle!!! The US soft point is more than my .308 or .30-06 hunting ammo! WTF??

Easy fixes to soft point ammo for reloaders is to pull the bullets from the corrosive rounds and put in some sp bullets (I've heard of success stories from guys using 123gr 7.62x39 bullets for high velocity rounds). If you want to go hardcore, measure out the same powder level in all the cases for some "Mexican match" ammo.

Sportsmans guide, JG sales, ventura munitions, SGammo and many others has some of the 174gr FMJ, and 203gr SP bear ammo. I don't think it's being banned- that 203 grain stuff is purely for mosins and isn't accurate enough to be "match ammo" by any standard. PSL are seeing less import; the ammunition is just an imported good that is waiting on shipments. It will be back at AIM when they have a chance.

Easy fixes to soft point ammo for reloaders is to pull the bullets from the corrosive rounds and put in some sp bullets (I've heard of success stories from guys using 123gr 7.62x39 bullets for high velocity rounds). If you want to go hardcore, measure out the same powder level in all the cases for some "Mexican match" ammo.

Sportsmans guide, JG sales, ventura munitions, SGammo and many others has some of the 174gr FMJ, and 203gr SP bear ammo. I don't think it's being banned- that 203 grain stuff is purely for mosins and isn't accurate enough to be "match ammo" by any standard. PSL are seeing less import; the ammunition is just an imported good that is waiting on shipments. It will be back at AIM when they have a chance.

I'm not saying the heavy grain ammo is "sniper" quality or even more accurate, just saying that the russians considered it "sniper" ammo and will not allow export. I hope it is just internet BS!

I just spent 700 bucks on powder, primers, etc, to help restock the larder, so to speak... I dont ever have to worry about anyplace running out... smile.png

000.gif

Heh $700 of supplies is going to last how long again? :)

If only that were the case. I will hate to see the surplus market finally die but die it will due to that blasted treaty if nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoooop! Looks like it is back! Saw some on ammotogo.com the other day! I just got some reloading stuff for it as well, from another fine forum member, so.......Wheeeee-Haw! Shooting range here I come!

I sure like shooting this old Mosin!

I just spent 700 bucks on powder, primers, etc, to help restock the larder, so to speak... I dont ever have to worry about anyplace running out... smile.png

000.gif

Heh $700 of supplies is going to last how long again? smile.png

If only that were the case. I will hate to see the surplus market finally die but die it will due to that blasted treaty if nothing else.

18 pounds of powder, and 4000 primers... Well... enough powder to do between 2000 and 5000 rounds, depending on what caliber... you can get a lot more 223's per pound than you can 30-06... and obviously... 4000 primers would be enough to load 4000 rounds... The 150 pounds of lead shot I got... at one ounce per load would be enough to load 96 boxes of 25 shells.

Depending on how FAST I load, how many rounds I shoot a week will determine how long THAT will last. laugh.png032.gif

000.gif