Magazine Question

So tax season is here and like a lot of people the government decided to give me a fat (to me) check smile.png

With said fat check I think I have decided to buy me a Saiga rifle and do me one of them there conversions, but I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out which caliber I want to get.

I already have a SKS and like the 7.62 round quite a bit. It is much more accurate (at least in my SKS) than I hear people on the internet act like it is, but I would kind of like to try something different...don't know...maybe...

5.45 seems cool but long term ammo availability and the extra steps in cleaning corrosive seem a little annoying. I like the flat shooting "longer range" thing though, and I'm sure I would get used to cleaning corrosive ammo eventually (doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but still).

The .223 Saiga seems like the best of both worlds here, but it seems like, from my research at least, that the magazines take a little more work to get working.

I would probably try out the Bulgarian poly mags first if I went the .223 route; from looking around they seem to be the most available (KVAR). I am not in complete understanding of what to file down on the rifle itself. Modifying the rifle isn't really a big deal considering the rifle is going to require some modification out of the box, but the part that gets me is having to modify every magazine to fit the specific rifle?

That part really turns me off of the .223 and was wondering what I would have to do to get the mags to just snap in without modification, if there is something I can do?

Also say I modify the rifle to fit the Bulgarian polys, will it fit other .223 AK mags or just that specific mag?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm usually kind of long winded. I like to be specific so it is easier to understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks to everyone on S-12 for the wealth of information available already. This will be my first Saiga conversion and I went from feeling overwhelmed to excited and confident to get it done smile.png

5.45 seems cool but long term ammo availability and the extra steps in cleaning corrosive seem a little annoying. I like the flat shooting "longer range" thing though, and I'm sure I would get used to cleaning corrosive ammo eventually (doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but still).

The more I shoot corrosive, the simpler and quicker my cleaning routine becomes. It is not that big a deal.

5.45 or 7.62 are simpler and get you out of the "project gun" situation much quicker.

I would probably try out the Bulgarian poly mags first if I went the .223 route; from looking around they seem to be the most available (KVAR). I am not in complete understanding of what to file down on the rifle itself. Modifying the rifle isn't really a big deal considering the rifle is going to require some modification out of the box, but the part that gets me is having to modify every magazine to fit the specific rifle?

That part really turns me off of the .223 and was wondering what I would have to do to get the mags to just snap in without modification, if there is something I can do?

There is wide variation among Saiga 223s. It is not really possible to know exactly what you will need to file or modify, whether on the rifle or on the mags, until you get your rifle and the mags. If you really want an AK in 5.56/.223, take that fat check and buy an SLR106. At least you know that it will accept without any trouble the Circle 10 Bulgarian mags. I like my Saiga 223, but it has been far too much trouble experimenting with different mag types and modifying this, that or the other.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I once faced a similar decision and just went with Saiga 223 specific mags (promags and SGM). A bit more up front, but no need to do anything else.

That's one possibility, and certainly a simpler approach. However, those mags do not have the same ruggedness as the gun, and thus are not acceptable for my purposes.

I prefer .223 for a couple reasons.

.223 is arguably the most plentiful centerfire rifle ammo in America.

.223 flys better past 100 yards than 7.62

Surefire mags work fine and offer last round bolt hold open, and don't require any extra work. (metal mags can dent, or have a bad weld, and can that make them inoperable) (PROMAG for 223 is crap since the lip or tabs break off)

I have purchased 5 Galil mags from a online store called Numrich Gun Parts Corps. Advertised as good to very good condition. A couple came really dirty and needed alot of cleaning. All of them function great with a CSS bullet guide. I'm no Saiga 223 expert but this seems to be the only way to go in my opinion. Every mag has worked perfectly after cleaning and oil. They cost $18.05 each plus shipping. Also, I have not modified anything on the gun or the mags except the bullet guide.

Edited by muvef
  • 1 month later...

I was set to go 5.45 and then got spooked about possible ammo import bans so I went with the 5.56. To me having the rifle in 5.56 was a smart move. I went with the Polish mags. I must of lucked out because they are performing flawlessly with the rifle. My second choice was the Bulgarian which look like better quality. I was able to set the rifle up to run both the Polish mag and Saiga specific mags. I'm satisfied with that. From what I've read there is no way to make the 5.56 as a mag friendly as the 7.62x39 due to the lack of standardization. I don't think I can run a Bulgarian and a Polish mag on the same rifle because as I understand it the two mags mate with the bullet guide differently. I wrote off the E. German mags because I couldn't find any. And I wrote off the Israeli mags because to me the mag wells of the Israeli rifle and the Russian rifle look entirely different, though I note there are a bunch of folks on here using the Israeli mags.

I use steel and Orlite Galils, yes Jim Digriz... I have a Tapco or two- even an SGM with the integral BG ground down..., for the range... LOL.

I have a magazine adapter... MSA. It works well too. Had to grind on that a bit to not mess up my Dinzag BG. I mostly run Pmags.

Still have not bought any Circle 10's of my own, but I've run them.

The 223 is versatile, and accurate, and reliable, and low maintenance, and just... AWESOME.

I'm biased.

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

i have one of each lol... 762, 545 & 223...oh and of course the 12...i LOVE Saiga's

btw Bohound, ive been trying to get a hold of you, check your inbox tongue.png

Yup, same here. I would say of the the three rifles, the 5.45 is the sweetest shooting. I run the circle 10's and some Tapco galils in my 223.

sweetest shooting maybe but least shot due to the corrosive ammo!!!

Ha, ha. For some people yes.(Myself included) for other people they probably appreciate the low price of quality ammo.

Edited by Son Of Jared