Trying to think of how best to phrase this question....

buy new gun you dont need just to have cause its cool, may well appriciate in value and won't be avaliable for long before supply dries up?

or

spend that money reworking a good shooting gun you already own to make it a great shooting gun?

specifically, I need to restock and glass bed my Rem700 tactical 308 heavy barrel and get it out of the cheesy hogue overmold stock its in and into a Manners or Bell and Carlson adjustable. This rifle has a place and purpose in my collection and while it can preform the job as is, it NEEDS the new stock and bedwork to make it truely exceptional.

on the other hand I'm faced with the want for more firearms of any kind, and looking specifically at getting a Suomi 9mm carine with about 3 of the 71rd drums and 5 of the 36rd stick mags.. these are cool little guns, very common caliber, drying up fast and have already gone up near 100.00 since I first started looking at em wanting one. It would make a great little carbine for my 5 year old to cut his teeth on when he's ready to step up from the 22 in a year or two.

Given this is an election year, and we all know what thats gonna do to prices, the fact that the Suomis are already drying up, the fact that to most people a " whole rifle " is worth more than " a stock "

part of me says, the stock job can always be done later, its just spare parts after all... likely never to be banned or unable to be gotten from MFG. so no matter what, i'll eventually be able to finish the 308 the way it needs to be done and the cost of finishing it off is unlikely to change much if i do it later. The stocks I want haven't changed much in price now in awhile.. they are what they are and cost what they cost 3 years ago and what they will likely cost 3 years from now.

the other half says... if you need that 308 and for some reason the S has HTF.... your gonna spend the rest of your life kicking yourself in the ass for not haveing it finished and ready. As a rule I NEVER buy another gun as long as I have a project on the table thats gonna need money to finish... this way I don't end up with 10 half finished projects and need 5000.00 to square em all away.

Where do you call it quits on buying new stuff? At what point does finishing a project that could be done at a later date override the aquisition of new things? The Suomi needs pretty much nothing done to it, Its not one of my AKs or ARs i'll put another easy grand into... it'll be bought and shot as is... this would still leave me with only 1 unfinished project and another good little rifle in the collection. The 308 CAN do its job as is... but the difference we are talking about is going from shooting paper plates at 750 to shooting skoal can lids at 750.... and thats a pretty fair increase.

Thoughts?

Edited by datrowl

I doubt the S will HTF anytime soon, SERIOUSLY!!!

So... buy the Suomi before they are gone, and you kick yourself even harder, cause you CANT GET ONE.

000.gif

+1 ! You can finish the Remington at your convenience, but you KNOW that that little nine won't be around for much longer. Been wanting one of those myself...seem to be a great little gun!

Boy, you weren't off on the $100 bump..just went to Centerfire's website..were $329 RECENTLY, and now $429...Jeesh!!

Edited by unclejake

**UPDATE**

I just got off the phone with Centerfire myself, They just got a new batch of these in and have 400 rifles in stock, The drum mags however they are down to 30, and the stick mags are down to 90.....just a heads up for anyone else eyeballing one, grab your mags now even if you have to wait a few weeks on the rifle.

they are now officially down to 27 drums and 85 stick mags victory.gif

Edited by datrowl

I'd get the Suomi. Like all surplus guns there is a limited supply, and once they are gone from dealers prices will probably increase a little more since they will be harder to find.

Look at the Saiga market as a good example, while they are not surplus, until the next shipments arrive the prices go up.

The .308 functions as is. You can always do the upgrade the .308 later, but you may not always be able to get the Suomi for your son.

I've been looking at them for some time myself, but for now I have to wait. The wife has a master budget plan for the next several months, and guns are not in it. I do get to use the money from my next deployment for what ever I want so if they are still around by the end of June I may get one then.

They have it in pistol form with 3? 36 round stick mags and 1 drum for $499.....interesting. I would really love to have one of these...heck, ask my wife, I would love to have two of EVERYTHING!! LOL But I really need to start rebuilding my stores of ammo and more mags for several that only have 2-3 per weapon.

Edited by unclejake