Stolen Saiga 12 in Blacksburg, Virginia

That totaly sucks. I had my 7.62 saiga stolen out of my truck. So I know the feeling.. Hope you can get it back but chances are even if it turns up the cops probably would not give it back without a leagal battle. Most stolen guns dont make it back to there owners even when reaported and documented. Is ther anyplace to check for guns that have turned up? I hate thiefs. Just learn from it and get a new one.

I don't know what kind of agency would do that or have any reason to do that. OP did you have you serial number written down and provided to the cop? That would greatly help.

Your government does. Because they are A-holes. There is a bill in the GA assembly now that would stop local jurisdictions from detstroying guns they confiscate from criminals and make them try to find the legal owner. If the owner cannot be found, the gun would be sold at auction to 01 FFLs.

• Like 3

That totaly sucks. I had my 7.62 saiga stolen out of my truck. So I know the feeling.. Hope you can get it back but chances are even if it turns up the cops probably would not give it back without a leagal battle. Most stolen guns dont make it back to there owners even when reaported and documented. Is ther anyplace to check for guns that have turned up? I hate thiefs. Just learn from it and get a new one.

I don't know what kind of agency would do that or have any reason to do that. OP did you have you serial number written down and provided to the cop? That would greatly help.

Your government does. Because they are A-holes. There is a bill in the GA assembly now that would stop local jurisdictions from detstroying guns they confiscate from criminals and make them try to find the legal owner. If the owner cannot be found, the gun would be sold at auction to 01 FFLs.

Your misunderstanding on the way law enforcement works in regards to recovering firearms is profound. When a weapon is recovered that is listed stolen in a report, that person is contacted and the weapon is returned. If it is listed as stolen. If the person never reports it stolen it makes it a little tougher. If for whatever reason the person does not want the firearm back or they cannot legally own it (felon) then yes it is destroyed or it is used for LE functions, or sold. Serial numbers don't necessarily link a person to a weapon. The gun can change hands many times through sales without knowing who the new owner is.

Edited by incognito485

Your misunderstanding on the way law enforcement works in regards to recovering firearms is profound. When a weapon is recovered that is listed stolen in a report, that person is contacted and the weapon is returned. If it is listed as stolen. If the person never reports it stolen it makes it a little tougher. If for whatever reason the person does not want the firearm back or they cannot legally own it (felon) then yes it is destroyed or it is used for LE functions, or sold. Serial numbers don't necessarily link a person to a weapon. The gun can change hands many times through sales without knowing who the new owner is. Now I can see if the weapon was used in a murder or another violent crime, that the weapon might be tagged as evidence pending the trial. However, most cases they are returned to the owner.