WTK: How to cut Pistol grip hole

Welcome Bob and congrats on being one who is not afraid to do it yourself. The conversion is very simple and can be done with very few tools and experience. There are several detailed conversion tutorials here that will answer all your questions. Please take some time and read them before starting and you will have no trouble. It really does pay to read everything you can find about it, take notes, and learn it BEFORE getting started. If you have any questions after reading the step by step instructions please feel free to ask me or any of the other members here who have done it. Here are a few links you need to check out first. There are several different methods for attaching the trigger guard and some options on what to do with the handguards, and stock, as well as different trigger groups that are available. Choose the one that works best for you. If you don't already have a BHO (bolt hold open) you can buy one from a member here called jeric. It comes with instructions and is easy to install.

Cheers and good luck! :super:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...t=0entry16009

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216631

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=5178

When I converted my Saiga 12, I used an AK blank receiver template to locate the position of the hole, then used my dremel tool to start cutting it, then used a small saw blade to cut into the corners, then used a file to smooth it all out. It turned out near perfectly, looks factory. When I start to convert my 410 Saiga, I think I'm gonna go another route. I've read postings on gunsnet where the later AK-74s and AK-100 series of rifles with folding stocks used a "reinforcement plate" under the pistol grip. There was supposedly a problem, when shooting the gun with the stock folded, with the corners of the pistol grip hole beginning to tear. While I'm highly sceptical of this being the case, I do know that the Russians started mounting these plates on later guns, Tantal sells them. The method that I'm going to try should solve two problems I think. It'll prevent any tearing that could occur and it SHOULD make it easier to make the pistol grip hole. I was going to mark the location and then drill a hole in each corner without going beyond the boundary of the grip hole, then use my dremel to cut out the center, then I was going to radious the corners of the pistol grip nut itself so it would fit into the opening. This method should eliminate any chance of tearing of the receiver by not providing any "corners" for the tear to begin. That's how a tear in sheetmetal is repaired, you locate the end of the tear, drill a hole and then weld it up. The round hole you drill equalizes the pressure and stops the tear. I hope this method proves to be successful! I'm gonna give it a try. What do you guys think? AKATTACK

It is also rumored that if you are using the Tapco Saw type PG you can use the exsisting trigger hole for the screw to go through.

The rumor is correct. I have done this with success. Once you have your trigger guard on and the saw grip in hand its easy to see that it will work. You will have to trim off the buttstock to clear the bolt that you use to hold own the saw grip if you do it this way.

Here's the template that I use to locate the grip hole. It should be to scale so just right-click on picture and then click on print picture. Then make sure the template is to correct scale by checking it with the various pin holes of the receiver. Then I just cut the template behind the mag well and align the template to the rear of the receiver, hold the template very steady and mark the pistolgrip hole by cutting thru the template with an exacto knife. Note that this is a template for an AK rifle, but the pistolgrip hole is in the same place on most AKs, as are other various pins and holes. Hope this helps! AKATTACK 18260AK_Receiver_Template-orig.jpg

Edited by AKATTACK

Nice template AKATTACK.

K-9 Bob when you get the 1/2" x 1/2" hole cut out like it shows in the diagrams it is still not ready to accept the grip screw base. I think I covered this in my discription of my conversion but anyway you will have to take a small file and cut an angle on the front and back of the hole to match the angle of the grip screw base as it sits in the hole or it will not sit down all the way. After you get the hole cut out you will see what I mean. That's if you are using a conventional AK grip and not one of those tapco saw thingies.

Can you tell me where to get a template to aid in placement of the pistol grip hole?

Colbra's post has a 'blueprint'

I just finished my conversion and had 0 gunsmithing (or machine shop type) experience. I blame ;) AKATTACK for mine. He posted a picture of his conversion and hooked me good.

A dremil, a small tri-angle hand file, a couple of drill bits (stooopid ruskie steal is harder than diamonds) and a caliper from ACE hardware (to measure dimentions for the grip hole) were all I used.

VERY simple, just took a bit to work up the curage to make the cuts in the reciever.