From FTE to a mystery problem after conversion

So I finally got a chance to fire my converted S12. Prior to the conversion, it was having FTE issues. So I converted and opened up the gas ports. Long story short, I've now got a mystery problem.

I don't even know what search terms I would use to find the answer on the forums. The problem is that, despite the fact low brass ejects fine, when the bolt closes and a new shell is in position, the trigger has no tension and pulling on it does not cause an immediate firing. In fact, the first time it occurred I pulled the trigger 3 or 4 times in disbelief. Then, on the 4th pull (again, no tension on the trigger), it discharged (surprise!).

I pull back the bolt carrier and eject the shell that was in the chamber, let the bolt slide forward and she's good for another shot. This problem only occurs when I have fired off a shell and the bolt as cycled back into position.

Important note: My manual BHO decided to spring loose after about 12 shots. The BHO button retracted in and the bolt was stuck - I got that under control, but I wonder if its related.

WTF is going on here?

check to see if you've accidentally moved the safety a tad bit up and that's causing you problems.

next time you get to that state, [***muzzle safety***] pop off the top cover and check to see if your trigger reset (disconnector let go of the hammer).

I had a problem similar to this right after conversion. It was my JTE hammer spring falling off on the BHO side and after a few trigger pulls it would go back onto the trigger (the position where it typically sits on the sides of the trigger) and then it would fire. quite often you have to OPEN the gun up while you first encounter the problem to get a look at what is going on in there. Just pop the dust cover off RIGHT when it happens at the range. Look in there and see what's binding. Because it most likely is something binding.

I had a problem similar to this right after conversion. It was my JTE hammer spring falling off on the BHO side and after a few trigger pulls it would go back onto the trigger (the position where it typically sits on the sides of the trigger) and then it would fire. quite often you have to OPEN the gun up while you first encounter the problem to get a look at what is going on in there. Just pop the dust cover off RIGHT when it happens at the range. Look in there and see what's binding. Because it most likely is something binding.

Thanks for all responses. Cranky, I have the JTE spring. Next time I will do exactly as you suggested. What did you do to finally fix the issue?

check to see if you've accidentally moved the safety a tad bit up and that's causing you problems.

next time you get to that state, [***muzzle safety***] pop off the top cover and check to see if your trigger reset (disconnector let go of the hammer).

I did check the safety and it was all the way down. Removing the cover does make sense

Try using the factory hammer spring. Whatever spring you use, make sure the ears are not coming off or the spring hanging up on the sides. Needle nose pliers are your friend!

If you use the factory hammer spring bend the legs of the springs straight. Taking the slight bend out of them will keep the legs of the spring from popping off and leaving you with a useless trigger!

Edited by renegade331

The JTE spring is fine, but bend the legs outward so that they pull out. it keeps them hooked on solidly. You can do this with it still in the gun.

if the underside of the disconnector is rough, it can cause the trigger to not want to reset. It just stays hooked until you push the trigger forward. This happened with my OEM trigger due to some paint drips before I converted. IMO every trigger should be polished on all the engagement surfaces with a very fine diamond stone before installation to make sure everything is smooth. Obviously keep the sharp edges sharp and don't change any angles.

Thanks for all responses. Cranky, I have the JTE spring. Next time I will do exactly as you suggested. What did you do to finally fix the issue?

I did check the safety and it was all the way down. Removing the cover does make sense

NHRes, I would stick with the JTE spring. If pauly does it for you which he probably will, you can bend the spring so that it forms a slight bend so as to come away from the FCG and poke into the side of the BHO slightly (or not at all) and then make a slight bend down toward the FCG so that the spring has more pressure on it. I'll take a pic. I did as CSS showed to do it with their installation of the JTE Power main spring.

I bought the one from CSS that was modified but I also notched the BHO where the BHO spring rides on it so it wouldn't slip off. I find this to be important because it was slipping off and once I cut a slight groove into it that back leg of the spring (for the BHO) never slipped off again.

I bought the one from CSS that was modified but I also notched the BHO where the BHO spring rides on it so it wouldn't slip off. I find this to be important because it was slipping off and once I cut a slight groove into it that back leg of the spring (for the BHO) never slipped off again.

I mangled my last BHO removing it from the dreaded "stuck" position. Pauly will notch the one I'm sending, I'm sure.