Finally done with my 340 conversion

After waiting on the remaining parts to arrive from K-Var, I have completed my rifle:

DSCN1540.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

DSCN1544.jpg

It started out with Black poly furniture, but being a more traditionalist, I wanted the soviet wood. I also thought I would like the BHO, but have since changed my mind. Grip is a shiny plum from K-Var.

This rifle, in order to operate with any of my 4 E. German magazines, absolutely needed the bullet guide.

photo2.jpg

Since then, it's had about 500 rounds through it without any issue. The bullet guide really wasn't a big deal to install, and was a lot simpler than I had anticipated.

It's very accurate too, I've found out, with just the open sights. Clay pidgeons at 100M are no problem, and I'm really enjoying this little rifle.

Now I want a 7.62x39 version...

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05
  • Like 5

Thank you, Gentlemen!

The Soviet wood came from a WTS ad on another forum (akfiles). I believe the user was Jestice75. It arrived in near mint condition, and needed to be fitted to the rifle. It took a while, working slowly, but it fits nice and tight and needed no refinishing or cleaning (cosmoline). The Saiga-provided cleaning kit fits neatly in the buttstock, a problem I had with the K-Var stock for some reason. With the K-Var stock I would reach in, push it in as hard as I could, the kit would get stuck in the bottom, and it would require a smack against the ground/floor to get it to pop out. What a pain.

I should take time to also mention that I got the muzzle brake from MARKW1 here. It arrived neatly packaged and in great shape. Anyone who's done business with Mark before knows what I mean. :)

And the '79/'80 sling, lastly, came in near mint condition from Krinkov762 at the AKFiles. Just a nice addition I thought.

The internals, like the Tapco G2 (922rx3) and bullet guide kit came from Dinzag. The mag floors(922r), and pistol grip (922r) came from K-Var, and magazine followers (922r) came from a user of a couple forums, BlueGrassHopper. I can also say that the followers are manufactured "clones" and have given me no feed issues in any of my magazines. They're also orange, for identification.cool.png

This has been a "work in progress" for several months, but I have enjoyed myself and have learned along the way!

I believe that most, if not all, E. German 5.45x39 mags are orange bakelite, with typically a darker portion at the bottom. 17, 33, 42, 24 are the numbers on mine.

There have been some in the past that have been painted over with some sort of black paint. When it begins to wear away, the orange is clearly visible.

• 3 weeks later...

East German mags...according to published resources...are the ONLY ComBloc mags with the mold numbers on the LOWER/RIGHT of the magazine. All others have arsenal marks or symbols on the lower/right....with their mold numbers on the lower/LEFT.

See here----> http://home.comcast...._mag_guide.html

There are also Russian bakelites....and they follow the normal convention as to markings.

Edited by IPSC45

YOU DID A REAL NICE JOB... DID YOU REFINISH IT ? IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO ?

Thanks! The only "refinishing" I did involved spraying the underside of the receiver with Duplicolor high-heat semi-gloss black after I removed the old trigger guard. Surprisingly, it matched the original finish, and has held up very well. It displays no visible signs of wear due to solvents or handling.

Since it came with the front half already done, there was no need to refinish the entire rifle or even the FSB or GB area..The wood came in the original Russian red/brown color you see. .

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05