guidance in buying first rifle

As title states looking for guidance in buying first rifle.I have 3 s12s and a couple handguns.

Looked and found nothing when searched,I have looked at Atlantic and am leaning towards Arsenal or Red jacket.Would prefer already restored and classic version.

What are major concerns to look out for and what do I avoid?

I've ready some posts about corrosive mil surplus and to clean after shoots.

Would like magazine compatibility and as light a maintenance as possible.

Any other help would be appreciated sorry for long post just trying to get as much as possible out of one post.

i have an unconverted saiga and like it, but the stock trigger blows. i clean when i get home after shooting,boil water in pot and pour down gas tube, barrel,piston and receiver.wipe off parts, bore snake and assemble. takes less than 7 minutes and is worth it with ammo price on these.never had any rust in the gun.

Edited by 86250rrippin

Well I have an Arsenal SGL31. I had an opportunity to get an SGL21 Or 31 at a discounted price. After checking out the 5.45 crowd and being a person that likes to shoot as much as possible I decided to get into the AK74 game.

Ammo is a big factor in this platform. SGammo.com as some of the best prices. 7n6 is standard soviet military ball. It is cheap deadly and rather accurate. It is also dirty and rather corrosive so an immediate clean is a must in humid environments. There is also non corrosive at a decent price too (silver Bear). What ever you shoot youll be saving a ton compared to .223.

I love my SGL31. My buddy likes to shoot my 31 over his 21. It doesnt break the bank to let your friends dump some mags also. My SGL31 was the first rifle I actually benched at 100 meters with a 4x24 posp. I consistently got 2 inch groups with 5 shots and every couple groups they get closer to 1. I have no formal training in shooting at all btw. This rifle has survived falling off my deck and delayed cleaning after corrosive shoots and just general neglect

Arsenal has decent customer service too if there is some thing wrong. As for red jacket the only reason I would ever buy anything they have touched is maybe it would possibly go up in value.

The bad news is nobody knows when surplus ammo will dry up and magazines have gone the way of the dodo. Some say its just a dry spell others say they are just waiting on new shipments.

Best of luck Also check out VEPRS in 5.45 they are the Cadillac of AK's

Edited by Jbanda1213

Thanks guys for input thought about veprs but 922r is always a consideration when looking at foreign firearms and ammo cost was one of the considerations for this caliber .More input please.

Different platform any word on smith and Wesson 5.45 or thoughts?

Whats your price range?

Dont worry to much about corrosive ammo. Just clean it when you get home. Lots of people swear by windex or hot soapy water, I just clean it like any other rifle. Some CLP or Hopes9, brush and patches. Never had any rust issues. In some cases I let my rifles sit for a week (doesnt mean you should) before cleaning. Just shoot, go home, clean. It shouldnt take more then 10-20 min to clean depanding on how anal you are.

Sorry never tried the 5.45AR.

• Like 1

yeah wha arik said. no need to panic about corrosive ammo. its not that big of a deal. hell i only use break free clp on all my shit and i never have an issue with rust.

the red jacket and the arsenal should both hold their value pretty well.

i also have an sgl 31. and honestly have no regrets in paying the premium price for it. and i like the trigger that came in it. its a crisp and consistant break. i feel that buying either would be a wise move. cuz come november, its hard to tell what the future holds for these types of rifles.