How does the Ruger Mini-30 compare to the AK platform?

I think this is actually a really interesting comparison thread.

The Mini 30 and the AK have a lot in common. Both are:

• rugged
  • simple
  • reliable
  • compact
  • decently accurate
  • a little difficult to customize
  • take very sturdy magazines

It's a much closer comparison than all the AK/AR, FAL/G3, AUG/P90, MP5/UZI debates that attract so much attention.

If the Mini 30 cost about $200 less or took AK mags the choice between the two would get harder.

I've owned and fired both. I prefer my AKs for several reasons:

-The AK is substantially more reliable, especially with shitty ammo. The gas system utilized by the mini-30 is less than conducive to operating while clogged with carbon.

-The AK is substantially easier and faster to disassemble and clean.

-Having lots of magazines is nice. It would cost me as much as a very nice AK to buy as many factory 30-round mags for a mini-30 as I have for my AK rifles.

-There is much more aftermarket support for the AK.

-There are many more factory replacement parts available cheaply for an AK - bolt carrier broke? Meh, $30 buys you a new one.

-Every AK I have owned was more accurate at any temperature than my mini 30 once it warmed up. With good ammo it held a pretty good group until about 15-20 rounds had gone down the pipe, then it started to go to shit.

I do like the looks of the mini-14 and mini-30. The ergonomics aren't bad at all, and I do enjoy firing them. All in all, they're less practical rifles.

Accuracy wise I think it's a mixed bag.

I've had a nice shooting AK before, but then again the friend who bought my mini 30 fiddled with handloads as well as trying every brand out there, end result is that the guy easily outshoots any AK I've ever owned, it's even slightly better than my draco, which is the most accurate AK I've owned (though tricky ergonomically)

Does this mean another mini 30 would do as well? Beats me.

I know the MINI 30 is generally felt to be a much more accurate gun, but I buy ammo based mostly on price and I don't handload for accuracy, so it's kind of moot.

I guess it's down to individual guns and owners, neither weapon has sniper grade accuracy, though I'm sure some examples of both the AK and Mini suffer from truly bad grouping.

• Like 1

I never had difficulties with accuracy, taking one shot every minute or two - it was actually a pretty damned accurate rifle. Once it was warm, something changed and it went to shit. I don't know what it was or why, but it happened consistently.

I never had difficulties with accuracy, taking one shot every minute or two - it was actually a pretty damned accurate rifle. Once it was warm, something changed and it went to shit. I don't know what it was or why, but it happened consistently.

minis have a nasty habit of uneven barrel stresses when warm.

A barrel tensioner is the usual fix, I built a custom tensioner for a mini once, kind of a pain in the ass though.

You have to machine a lttle collar that goes just in front of the front of the stock and another that goes behind the flash hider with the front one threaded, you then apply stretching pressure to the barrel until it works right, like I said, a pain in the ass.

...If the Mini 30 cost about $200 less or took AK mags the choice between the two would get harder.

I disagree. I can't think of a Ruger anything that could be accurately considered a battle rifle, (and no, I'm not forgetting about their AR).

Your previous post satirizing a Ruger forum was dead on. Rugers are generally servicable, but don't really excel in any particular way. Most of their models are just... sleep.png

That said, the 10/22 is fun, and everyone should have one.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

...If the Mini 30 cost about $200 less or took AK mags the choice between the two would get harder.

I disagree. I can't think of a Ruger anything that could be accurately considered a battle rifle, (and no, I'm not forgetting about their AR).

Your previous post satirizing a Ruger forum was dead on. Rugers are generally servicable, but don't really excel in any particular way. Most of their models are just... sleep.png

That said, the 10/22 is fun, and everyone should have one.

Ruger is most definitely the king of plink. Their 10/22s, 22/45,s ,mark series and new sr22 are great guns(my sr22 is one of the most relaible rimfires I have)

But,like you said, when it comes to production of a combat ready rifle, ruger falls short, especially considering prices.

The Ruger is a good self defense carbine for short range. The AK is a good self defense carbine for short range. The difference is that the Ruger was not designed as a rugged military weapon. It was once billed as "The World's Most Expensive Plinker." I had a couple of Mini 14 rifles and would much prefer the AK. Price is now way too high IMHO. Good mags from Ruger are available but expensive. If you really want a U.S. made rifle then I guess it would be OK. Just keep in mind it was never designed to take the abuse an AK will take.

Thanks to all of you for your input on this topic. If my friend is willing to start his rifle relationship with a 10/22, I think it's an excellent recommendation. Although, I know he has the money and probably the desire for something more in keeping with his survivalist attitude. He's a big guy and will probably view the 10/22 as something more for his 8-year old son than for himself. Past the 10/22, I will recommend the AK platform and, if it will make him happy to spend big bucks on it, I guess I'll recommend the American-made Century-39. Thanks again!

Edited by DrDyno

Lol i laughed at the Ruger fourm

hutchsaiga thinks I should be banned for it sad.png

Hutch has kicked my ass once or twice. nonono.gif However, his PM's are well thought and helpful. It's just the thread posts that sometimes send him into orbit. anger.gif

well a friend of mine has one and its not very impressive. he has had several light primer strikes using east german, tula and some wolf loads. mostly east german though. its not a terrible rifle, but id take an AK over one anyday. too many parts to disassemble for cleaning. overall i dont really feel that its worth the steep price for it. maybe 4-500 bucks, but not upwards of 700.

Capt

I have a hard time reading your posts! Your avatar keeps pulling my attention away from them exciting.gif

• Like 1

Performance of the two will be similar. The Saiga will be more reliable, easier to strip & clean, mags will be easier to find, and it won't be fussy about ammo. The Mini-30 will be more compact, better balanced, more attractive and probably $300 more expensive. If the Saiga gets beat up he won't lose sleep while a ding or scratch on a clean Mini-30 will probably cause traumas.

It'll also be easier to mount a scope on a Mini-30; though if my long-gone Mini-30 is any indication, it'll destroy the scope. Mine wrecked at least two but they were inexpensive scopes. Something about the way the action slams closed.

Tell your bud, he's got a choice; one Mini-30 or two Saigas for about the same money. Anyone with a 7.62x39 probably should also have a .223 as a hedge against future ammo availability problems.

Edited by 555JM
  • Like 1

well a friend of mine has one and its not very impressive. he has had several light primer strikes using east german, tula and some wolf loads. mostly east german though. its not a terrible rifle, but id take an AK over one anyday. too many parts to disassemble for cleaning. overall i dont really feel that its worth the steep price for it. maybe 4-500 bucks, but not upwards of 700.

Capt

I have a hard time reading your posts! Your avatar keeps pulling my attention away from them exciting.gif

sorry stilts! 000.gif