A friend has a brand new never fired SKS and wants to use 20 or 30 round mags. I know to make it 922r legal with hi-cap mags a conversion is required.

Has anyone here done that?

What parts are the easiest to replace and at the least cost. It looks like a stock, hand guard, and US mag will make 4 parts.

Can you advise if the full trigger group can be replaced with a US made set?

From what I've read the parts count is a little iffy... some say 4 US parts are required and then others say 6. His rifle is Chinese (Norinco), so I think only 4 parts are required to be compliant.

I've converted a Saiga 7.62x39, but I know nothing about the SKS.

Any thoughts?

Tell him to find a fixed 20 rounder, or sell the rifle. That gun was never designed to have a detachable magazine and 95% of the time, won't work right with one. Tell him to hang on to all the parts he removes.

If he sold it, he would have close to the money needed to buy an ak

• Like 1

I agree with Blender, except the fixed 20 rounders are almost impossible to find.

Get some milsurp stripper clips and practice with them until you are proficient. These can be used to reload quite quickly, making the so-called hi cap mags unnecessary.

Rounds carried on strippers are significantly lighter than loaded mags, as well. This means more ammo carried for the same weight.

• Like 1

Really, stripper clips are the best to use for the SKS. The Tapco 20-round magazines work OK most of the time, but as mentioned they require you to remove the fixed 10-round magazine and therefore invoke 922r. However, most SKS owners completely ignore 922r so he wouldn't be in the minority if he chose to do so.

Edited by mancat

Use the stripper clips and factory internal mag. Not only are the after market mags notorious for problems - they destroy the rifle's most appealing virtue - loading from the top like am M-1 Garrand!