Paint Preparation

I going to be painting one of my S-12's soon and was wondering what this is. Only one of my guns has it. I saw a thread on it in the past but have not been able to find it again. I guess my question is can it be easily sanded off or will I be creating some kind of a monster?

post-40745-0-43302000-1335133835_thumb.jpg

I going to be painting one of my S-12's soon and was wondering what this is. Only one of my guns has it. I saw a thread on it in the past but have not been able to find it again. I guess my question is can it be easily sanded off or will I be creating some kind of a monster?

That is a stamp that covers up the importer's name. The American importer was changed after the gun was manufactured. So they stamped over that importers name and added the new importer's name.

That is a stamp that covers up the importer's name. The American importer was changed after the gun was manufactured. So they stamped over that importers name and added the new importer's name.

Thank you. Now I know what it is. I am still wondering whether or not to mess with it. I would imagine perhaps it could be filed smooth but I don't want to do a shitty body work job on the gun. Painting with in on there is liking painting of a bunch of fuss. Maybe I am just imagining a bad out come.

Match striker.

Good One!

I believe a few of the unfortunate souls that got this velcro job have actually had success with dremel fu and a sanding wheel, then duracoat. If you're painting, I'd use a thick paint or a lot of coats, and you should be able to blend it in.

The Saiga we restored the other night was an 09 manufacture that had a new "FIDE (I think) Las Vegas,NV" stamp on the left side front of the receiver now. It was POORLY done compared to the old RAAC stamp, IMO. I'd be more concerned with something like THAT.

Good luck!

Edited by bohound

I would treat it like body work and fill it, which would usually be a mistake on a gun, what with all of the shock, vibration, oil etc. But the amount would be so thin that it would be almost like thick paint at that point.

If you try to grind it down, then you would have thinner metal in that area and I think that would be worse.

I would treat it like body work and fill it, which would usually be a mistake on a gun, what with all of the shock, vibration, oil etc. But the amount would be so thin that it would be almost like thick paint at that point.

If you try to grind it down, then you would have thinner metal in that area and I think that would be worse.

The damage was done when they "un-etched" the receiver.

Well, she's painted up real purdy now. Will put her together tomorrow if the paint is dry enough and post a picture or two.

THAT's what I'm talking bout! :) Preview opinion on how it came out/method used to smooth the stamp?

I'm looking forward to seeing how she looks as well. I have some duracoat in shipment and I plan on painting mine up as well. I have a few things I want to do before I shoot it, though. Regardless, I wanted to have the duracoat here so I could start practicing on some other items I have to make sure I have the atomization down before shooting my gun. I'm an airbrush hobbyist anyway, so I have a pretty nice setup and good working knowledge and hope for a decent result.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she looks as well. I have some duracoat in shipment and I plan on painting mine up as well. I have a few things I want to do before I shoot it, though. Regardless, I wanted to have the duracoat here so I could start practicing on some other items I have to make sure I have the atomization down before shooting my gun. I'm an airbrush hobbyist anyway, so I have a pretty nice setup and good working knowledge and hope for a decent result.

Duracoat, an airbrush and some hobbyist skill sound like a great start. I am not familiar with the duracoat other than hearing the name on this forum. I painted mine yesterday with the Dupli-Color 1634. I wasn't totally happy with the hardness of the paint even after baking it. It would have most likely been fine but I had a can of Brownells Teflon/Moly Oven Cure Gun Finish and decided to use it. The striped S-12 just fit in my over. My wife is a gem. She didn't complain at all about the smell of the parts curing. I didn't do the Teflon/Moly in the first place because the directions "for best result bead blast". I live in the middle of nowhere and that made it impractical.

The weapon is totally apart. The only thing not apart is the barrel to receiver. I will be putting her together tomorrow and let you see what I have here. I think it came out pretty good. You can still see the Velcro a little but and also can detect where the welds were although if you did not know where they were you wouldn't notice them. They will probably show up real good in a photo though. Every speck of dust shows in my photos.

Edited by bushpilot47
  • Like 1

Well the paint is finished and I am totally pissed off at myself. I primered the gun before I painted it. I have no knowledge of gun finishing but priming in my opinion was a huge mistake. I applied one kind of paint over another and the primer and it is just to thick. It chips really easily. I will be repainting in the fall. I need to get it to a place and have it media blasted. I will decide what material to use at a later time. Perhaps the duracoat Mitch was talking about. I read up on duracoat and it seems like a good product. Any suggestions out there on finish. The gun looks OK now but I can tell it will not hold up well.

The Velcro still shows but it is less obvious now . You can see I put washers under the screws in the receiver block as not to fracture the paint. Damn. This is a learn as you go hobby. So far the paint has been my biggest mistake. No biggie, I can fix it.

post-40745-0-42928500-1335382139_thumb.jpg

post-40745-0-31219500-1335382256_thumb.jpg

post-40745-0-08834700-1335382301_thumb.jpg

• Like 1