Why no American AR 12 gauges?

I really enjoy my Akdal, but deep down inside, in a part of me I won’t admit exists, whenever I'm shooting it, I feel like I'm playing with a toy. Maybe it’s something to do with the plastic?

Now that the AR design is public domain, there are tons of US companies making endless varieties of AR based rifles. There are a ton of great choices out there for just about any use you could think of in an AR platform ......... other than shotguns. With my very limited (read zero) understanding of what it takes to make a new AR in a new caliber, I really can’t understand why a US company hasn't jumped on the AR trend band wagon and become the first to make a US version of the MKA 1919?

The point of this thread, is to get your thoughts on why that is? What is so hard about making a 12 gauge AR that none of the American companies did it, or as far as I can tell, are working on it? Why did it have to come first from the Turks?

the akdal has nothing in common with ARs except how it looks, the only way i could see a us version working without costing $3k would be if someone could take an 1100 and modify it to work with an akdal type lower and accept detachable magazines, i bet it would still be over $2000

I remember seeing videos of 12g AR's from Shot Show (i think it was), a few years back but havent seen anything about them since.

There is a .410 AR available, called the T-14 Classic. Classic Arms has them as whole firearms, or just upper assemblies.

I had a USAS12, which was an excellent 12 guage AR clone. Paid $1500 for it,then BATF reclassified it along with the Streetsweeper and Stryker 12 as "destructive devices" and I had to either 1} return it to the manufacturer (for no compensation), 2} surrendcer it to the BATF (for no compensation) 3] or transfer it to a Class III.I wound up selling it to local Class III for $250. I'm still red-assed about it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=usas+12&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDaewoo_Precision_Industries_USAS-12&ei=4ZuYT9q-CdDViAK99b1X&usg=AFQjCNHBn-RuQ0ySD5eLAaVgJFNltlEWPw

Edited by blkgunlvr

I had a USAS12, which was an excellent 12 guage AR clone. Paid $1500 for it,then BATF reclassified it along with the Streetsweeper and Stryker 12 as "destructive devices" and I had to either 1} return it to the manufacturer (for no compensation), 2} surrendcer it to the BATF (for no compensation) 3] or transfer it to a Class III.I wound up selling it to local Class III for $250. I'm still red-assed about it.

http://www.google.co...LAaVgJFNltlEWPw

why didn't you just register it as a dd?

I remember seeing videos of 12g AR's from Shot Show (i think it was), a few years back but havent seen anything about them since.

That was CMMG.

They decided not to pursue it.

Its a shame. If there was a true AR 12g, or even 20g for that matter, i believe that would be my first venture into the world of Stoner.

That was CMMG.

They decided not to pursue it.

Actually it was Fidelis. They were making CMMG's early .308 lowers. Not exactly sure what happened with Fidelis, but I'm pretty sure they are no more.

http://www.google.co...LAaVgJFNltlEWPw

why didn't you just register it as a dd?

I wasn't too savvy on the Class III registration process at the time - wish I had.