Removal of scope mount rail?

When I put the UF on the wife's S-.410 the scope mount had to go. There was no replacement for that long rivet - so I used a 16D nail. Propper sized nails make GOOD rivets, they are made of better metal than some of the rivets sold for kit building!

• Like 1

Just leave the scope mount, maybe you or the next owner of the rifle will want to put a scope on it. How much weight would you save removing it anyway? 5oz? Sounds Bubba to me.

sorry but i feel scopes are a waste of time on ak's. ar's are better for optics. i usually will out shoot scoped rifles with my tech-sights which i have on all my saiga's. that real world shooting, not off a bench.

less weight whereever i can save some helps, add in the fact that it is useless weight for me, i see no reason to keep it.

the rear trunion is cast i believe which rules out just tig welding it to the receiver i guess.

I would say leave it there, I understand you will never use but chances are eventually someone else will. To tear that off the rifle is just a bad idea, that mount hardly weighs anything. If you are going into "combat" and don't want to carry extra weight, you would be able to drop more weight by just taking a big dump before you go.

It is your rifle so do what makes you happy.

Just leave the scope mount, maybe you or the next owner of the rifle will want to put a scope on it. How much weight would you save removing it anyway? 5oz? Sounds Bubba to me.

sorry but i feel scopes are a waste of time on ak's. ar's are better for optics. i usually will out shoot scoped rifles with my tech-sights which i have on all my saiga's. that real world shooting, not off a bench.

less weight whereever i can save some helps, add in the fact that it is useless weight for me, i see no reason to keep it.

the rear trunion is cast i believe which rules out just tig welding it to the receiver i guess.

The trunion can easily be welded, I have done some very nice builds with both front and rear trunions welded, super smooth and super strong.

This is presuming you can weld.

Given where the scope mount is located... wasted effort IMO. That piece of stamped steel cant weigh more than a couple OZ. Id image a single round or 2 weighs about the same. The weight is right over the grip, if anything your just going to make it more front heavy than it already is lol.

The side base does add some rigidity to the receiver, I would recommend a reinforcement plate under to PG when you take side base off.

If you want to weld , weld - BUT It takes longer to set the welder up than it takes to pound in a new rivet!

I've removed two of them, the last one yesterday. I just drilled the rivets enough to make them let go, then popped the rail off. I then ground the front two flush with the receiver. I left the rear one sticking up a bit and then peened it flat. It sticks up slightly from the receiver but looks fine and is nice and tight. Welding is fine too if you're set up for it but does make it problematic if you ever decide to remove the rear trunion.

The side base does add some rigidity to the receiver, I would recommend a reinforcement plate under to PG when you take side base off.

If you want to weld , weld - BUT It takes longer to set the welder up than it takes to pound in a new rivet!

I hadn't heard of this before. Not sure if I really need it but it couldn't hurt and I do like to tinker. I'm assuming this is a self fabricated piece?

well i drilled out the front and middle rivets, drilled partway the rear one. welded up all the holes so i won't be needing any plastic plugs.

i hit it quick and washed with water between holes so need to put any more heat intoi the receiver than needed. the trunion , i left the rivet sticking proud and welded around it and ground all the welds flush. went quick, just have to get a abre metal filler, fill and sand. prime and wait till the krebs is in and installed for the final duracaot finish to be sprayed. more work but i'm happy with it so far.

...The side base does add some rigidity to the receiver, I would recommend a reinforcement plate under to PG when you take side base off....

...I hadn't heard of this before. Not sure if I really need it but it couldn't hurt and I do like to tinker. I'm assuming this is a self fabricated piece?

PG reinforcement plate can be purchased from a number of sources. I get mine from AK-Builder. He has two lengths available: Russian/Extended length and standard length. The Russian/extended is good for a Molot grip, SAW grip or the Hogue. Standard length for most others, including standard AKM grips and US Palm.

• Like 1

...The side base does add some rigidity to the receiver, I would recommend a reinforcement plate under to PG when you take side base off....

...I hadn't heard of this before. Not sure if I really need it but it couldn't hurt and I do like to tinker. I'm assuming this is a self fabricated piece?

PG reinforcement plate can be purchased from a number of sources. I get mine from AK-Builder. He has two lengths available: Russian/Extended length and standard length. The Russian/extended is good for a Molot grip, SAW grip or the Hogue. Standard length for most others, including standard AKM grips and US Palm.

Thank you much. I appreciate the info.