Time for a new bullet guide?

So I went out today to do some sighting in and try out my new mags.

Every second to last round was diving a little too low and wouldn't enter the chamber.

I have one of Dinzag's first flat trunion bullet guides and it's a little beat up. It's actually the wrong bullet guide for this gun as I have a round trunion but it had worked fine till today.

I was even getting the feed issues with my old magazines that were previously fine.

I really wish I could find one like a 5.45 style. Like below.

ak222_1.jpg

Here are some pics. Think I need a new one?

20120428_161042.jpg

20120428_160956.jpg

20120428_160703.jpg

20120428_160552.jpg

Looks like your bullet guide is really getting a lot of contact while feeding rounds, the leading edge looks chewed up.

I can see this catching the nose and/or deforming the nose of rounds as they feed.

Yes, I'd change it out, and make sure it the right guide and properly installed.

I would grind it to a more uniform shape on top, clean it up and re-seat it with JB Weld underneath. If you prepare the surface properly, it shouldn fill up the space and hold with the screw.

I have used it beneath my home made guide, which had some space, and it has held up for over a thousand rounds. Since the metal surface of the guide is all that contacts the bullet, there is not a problem with it chipping.

Worst case is it won't work and you are no worse off. The JB Weld is easy to remove, and you go to plan B. Just remember to use the industrial strength that takes 8-10 hours to cure.

For a plan B, you can create your own and drill the hole slightly off center.

Edited by wpflgun

I don't think I want to spend the time to grind on this one, just to make it shorter. A new one is only $14-$20. I just can't decide which I want to order.

I wish I knew what materials each was made of and choose the harder one. I think I will email both and see what I get back.

ETA: Well I emailed CSS and Dinzag this morning inquiring about the materials and here is the return email form Brian AKA Dinzag.

Hey David,

That would be my guess, probably worn. Was that the original guide from way back?

The design has changed a lot since then if that's the case.

Either way I'll replace it free of charge.

Just need you to send me that one with the screw so I can make sure the hardware and hole location matches up and is the right size.

Be sure to send it in a padded envelope.[/background]

I have purchased MOST of my parts I have used on my .223 from Dinzag and this just reinforces the reasons to keep buying from him.

Edited by Pyzik

Brian at Dinzag is great and I am sure he will respond quickly. My Guide has at least 5,000 rounds and no wear like that..it looks as if it was installed too far forward causing the tips of the rounds to beat it up...a few seconds with a dremel to clean it up should do the trick...save the money and just touch it up quick.

Edited by DJ Big Dog

If you got the correct bullet guide would it solve the problem? How did you get the flat bullet guide to fit a round trunnion?

I would think that the correct guide would help. Originally, when I had Dinzag do the conversion he was using the "cut pipe" as a bullet guide. Then a few months later, he sent me the current bullet guide in the mail explaining that this was a new design he'd been working on. At the time, I didn't know there was a round or flat trunion. The one he sent me happened to be for a flat but it installed fine so that's what I went with.