Needing Advice for Red Dot Sights

Just installed the TWS Dog Leg Rail Gen2 to my Saiga and I am now on the prowl for a reputable red dot sight. I'm looking for advice from people who have valid feedback. Meaning if you haven't personally used it or don't have any experience with a particular red dot sight, then please don't give me the feedback. It would be a waste of my time and yours.

post-42173-0-30783400-1336023920_thumb.jpg

Bushnell TRS-25

Can be found for $80-100

3 MOA dot size

Long lasting battery - leave mine on all the time - 7 months and still running...on the factory battery.

Used on:

A Ruger 22/45 pistol

Two different 5.56 rifles (Saiga and The pictured AR)

And a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 (makes 4" groups with a 18.5" barrel and home cast slugs at 100 yards)

I own 2 and think I might buy a 3rd soon.

post-20983-0-58198400-1336037820.jpg

post-20983-0-93731400-1336037832.jpg

A good red dot? What you need is a Primary Arms micro red dot with a fixed base.

Check this out: 3 MOA dot with 11 brightness settings. You think it's too bright outside for a red dot? WRONG! These go up to 11. Unless you're shooting at the Sun, you'll see that dot. This dot is so bright and clear that you'll think to yourself, "Damn, what a bright and clear dot." This might lead the casual observer to think that the lens has to be tinted so heavily that it looks like some kind of gangsta car window, but that's not the case. You can see through the Primary Arms micro red dot with fixed base, no problem. Sure, it's a little blue. What's the matter, can't handle a little blueness?

I see you've got a Picatinny rail there. Did I mention that the Primary Arms micro red dot is totally compatible with Picatinny rail systems? Well, heck yeah it is! This thing fits so securely that you'll think it was designed for that kind of thing (hint: because it was!) No need for complex torque wrenches to get this thing tightened down either. Primary Arms sends you an Allen wrench in the box!

Speaking of included things, let me tell you about the batteries. Don't worry about having to go to the store to pick up some overpriced CR2032 button cell batteries, as you may have gathered from my segue into this paragraph, they're included in the price! And let me tell you, these things last for ages. I left one of my Primary Arms micro red dots with fixed base on medium brightness for months, and it was still as bright as the day I forgot to turn it off.

"Is it tough?" you might ask. Yeah, it seems pretty good. I've dropped my rifles from shoulder- to waist-high only to find that the sight still works and the zero hasn't changed. It's not like gravity pulls especially hard on this sight though. It only weighs 4.5 ounces! Still, it does have mass, so you can be theoretically assured that it exists within the Higgs Field. If it were any lighter, it would cease existing.

And it's good that it does exist, because the warranty might not apply if it didn't. Primary Arms has some dang good customer support. In the rare instance where one of my Primary Arms products (a flashlight, sorry to waste your time) failed to work, they stood behind their product and sent me a replacement so fast. It was practically in my hand before I realized I had a problem, narrowly avoiding a causality paradox.

• Like 1

Datastick and drthunder, thank you for the feedback as it is valuable and informative to help mme make a better decision when purchasing my red dot. I've heard of both the bushnell as well as primary arms red dots but the name I've seen come up the most is bushnell. It has the ability to cowitness with the TWS gen2. Customer service is also a plus because if anything goes wrong and you need help, then u should be able to go thru the manufacturer without any issues. Anyway thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I sprung for the Russian PK-01V from kalinka. It is really good.

Cheaper than the comparable American sight too.

Another cool thing is that the sight will co witness right out the box.

It has a 1.5 moa dot, and the battery life running off of 2 AAA's is around 500 hours or so.

The TWS dogleg rail is the one installed in your pic, right?

I'll assume it is. I recommend a PK-23 from Eastwave. It's a 1 MOA mil-spec red dot with a flickering reticle, (8Hz). You can order a pic-rail model rather than the standard one meant to be installed on the receiver side-rail.

Suprised no one has mentioned Aimpoint. I use a T1 on my gun in a scout setup. It doesn't get more simple and more rugged than the T1. If you aren't using a scout setup, which it seems you are not, then I'd look into the larger Aimpoint red dots. I don't have experience with those, so don't want to waste your time!!