Cowitness with Chaos HK Sights

I know there are some old threads about what red dot sights will cowitness with the HK sights (The Aimpoint Micro/Primary Arms micro dot are the recommendations I've seen), but I was wondering if there was a reflex sight that would cowitness with the Chaos HK sights as well. The Aimpoint Micro is ridiculously expensive, the PA MD is a cost-effective alternative, but I like the quickness of sighting with a red dot/reflext sight.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of red dots vs reflex sights?

Aimpoint Micro and the PA MD are both reflex sights.

Here's a decent article for orientation on the subject: http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

IMO:

The best advantage for the Aimpoint is battery life. The PA MD does not share that trait.

Second, you can't find a red dot sight with a lower mounting position than the Micro. PA MD does share that trait. While not always important, it is for my S12.

Very informative, Funk.

I think I misunderstood what cowitnessing was. That being said, though, it might be interesting to use a simple reflex sight on the rear and the HK ring on the front. I wonder if that would still allow for quick/accurate acquisition.

what makes HK sights fast, is that the front post is always in the center of the front ring or "U"

windage and elevation adjustments are on the rear sight.

what you're talking about doing here is possible, but detailed to do it right. you're going to want the center of the red dot tube to be in line with the center of your HK front sight and point of impact at chosen distance.

or you could just mount is all up and see what you get and learn the hold over/under and Kentucky windage?

I'd I'll do it the hard way. secret_smile.gif

whoops. sorry, I got carried away discussing HK sights and forgot about the Chaos in the thread title. The Chaos HK-style sights have no provisions for sighting adjustment, windage or elevation from what I have read (never handled them). I'm not sure on where the front post sits in relation to the outer "U" either.

Plenty of guys run those sights so maybe you get a hit from them?

for me, HK sights only work as intended if the rear sight is close enough to my eye to function like an aperature. a ghost ring a foot away from my eye isn't as instinctive for me and no faster than than a notched rear sight.

edited to fix that...

Edited by FunkedOut

The Burris fastfire II does cowitness with the Chaos HK sights.

The Chaos sights are adjustable for windage with a set screw and I believe elevation only with a file or maybe replacing the front sight pin that is held in place with a roll pin

post-28138-0-95974800-1336087018_thumb.jpg

post-28138-0-28967400-1336088230_thumb.jpg

Edited by defequisimo
  • Like 1

whoops. sorry, I got carried away discussing HK sights and forgot about the Chaos in the thread title. The Chaos HK-style sights have no provisions for sighting adjustment, windage or elevation from what I have read (never handled them). I'm not sure on where the front post sits in relation to the outer "U" either.

Plenty of guys run those sights so maybe you get a hit from them?

for me, HK sights only work as intended if the rear sight is close enough to my eye to function like an aperature. a ghost ring a foot away from my eye isn't as instinctive for me and no faster than than a notched rear sight.

edited to fix that...

Only windage no elevation as per manufacturers website.

what makes HK sights fast, is that the front post is always in the center of the front ring or "U"

windage and elevation adjustments are on the rear sight.

what you're talking about doing here is possible, but detailed to do it right. you're going to want the center of the red dot tube to be in line with the center of your HK front sight and point of impact at chosen distance.

or you could just mount is all up and see what you get and learn the hold over/under and Kentucky windage?

I'd I'll do it the hard way. secret_smile.gif

Windage? We are talking about a shotgun right?