Rear Sights 5.45

Ok so after I get all psyched about finding a Saiga 5.45 near my house, I order the conversion parts. After I finish it and all happy and what not. I finally take the time to look and notice the rear sights are off! If I put slight pressure on them they will line up with the rest of the rifle but spring right back. Any ideas on how to fix this? I cant send it back now and I do not want to sell it. I was thinking of a RPK style rear sight? Don't know, but would like to keep this one if its a simple fix. Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Edited by Whiskey

I have the same issue with mine, I tried a different sight leaf and that didn't help. I was thinking it might be the grooves in the block that the sight leaf fits into, but haven't looked any further. I was thinking maybe there was a burr on the metal somewhere that needs to be filed off?

Could be but feels like there is a tiny thin shim / washer missing or it needs some tightening or adjustment, how I have no idea right now. I can push it to the right and it lines up with the center line of the rifle. Once I let go it springs / shifts right back to the left. Funny thing is I can fold a piece of paper and slide it inbetween the leaf and the block and its stays lol. Thats how much its off but in a inch or inch and a half thats a lot imo. That was the thinking of an adjustable sight for the fix.

Slide the sight up to setting 10, does it still have sideways movement? My sight is canted to the other side. It really bugs me, but if worse comes to worse, I will just replace the sight block when I replace the GB, FSB, and install the HG retainer.

Can you just drift the front sight to line it back up?

Another "fix" would be to drop a crapload of money on a TWS dog leg and rear peep. Hope you get it worked out.

When it is on setting one, mine is drifted to the side, when it is on setting 10, not drifted. so some where along the lines the rear sight needs to be fixed to be accurate. I suppose I could probably drift the front because it is not likely I would shoot past 300-400 meters but it is just the thought that it is not lined up bugs me.

Ok, well I removed the rear sight and the spring. Installed the rear sight without the spring and it sits fine. Lines up with the center of the rifle and is correct with the front sight. The spring may just be throwing it off, it does look very slightly twisted but in the wrong direction...maybe its just me. Seeing that I have it off, I might just go and order the RPK rear sight with the spring. Going to look at it a bit more before I do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump....

I just tackled this issue on my rifle. A little bit of filing, in the right place, on one of the metal "tabs" of the sight leaf will bring it into alignment.

It's only a $20 part, in case you screw it up.

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up...I havent been able to get a closer look at the sight since I removed it. I do know that if I place the leaf in where it is to sit without the spring it sits fine. I'll look at it this weekend and pay attention to the tabs.