Does CCW Permit Allow Carry AK in Truck??

Florida reciprocates (honors the concealed carry license of) 35 states out of a total of 49 states with concealed license. You need to know the laws before you travel, your concealed carry license is NOT a "Get out of jail free" card in any state, especially the 15 states that DON'T reciprocate. And firearms laws are different from state to state, you can't hold up your license and say "But it's legal in Florida, or Kentucky, or where ever your license was issued. Well you could say it, but I think you'd still go to jail. Also, if you have a license from a state you don't live in, many states will not honor that license. Kentucky reciprocates with 35 as well, I don't know if they are the same states, you need to know before you go! Edited by wearefla

LMAO....gotta love Montana. Don't need no stinkin' permit unless it's, "partially or totally concealed by clothing on the body." I can OC, vehicle carry, walk down the street with it in my hand(though not advisable), toss it on the dash, stuff it between the seats, or put it in the door compartment, We still have people carrying long guns in their rigs, and some of them are "hot".

Montana: we don't promote gun ownership.....we encourage it.

I wouldn't say he is "sexually compromised"big_smile.gif I personally wouldn't "convey" any long gun in a vehicle cocked and locked, in plain sight, in reach of the driver, but as I related above, I have seen it done and no arrest made even after a serious accident.

In Colorado I heard of a few "hunting" "accidents" ( I feel there are very few "accidents" involving firearms, usually they are stupid mistakes) where a loaded, chambered rifle or shotgun in a vehicle discharged, killing or maiming someone.

I usually have a compact .45 left side cross draw while driving, or a.380 in center console, maybe another .45 in glove compartment, extra mags, all chambered, all legal, but who, me, paranoid?

I drive a Yukon now, so a couple of long guns, loaded but not chambered, in the back cargo area, maybe a Benelli, Saiga 12 but mag not inserted, an AR or 2, depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, but I teach folks how to handle firearms safely. Some times I'm not carrying, I've been warned that's when I will wish I had!

Guess I'm just an old Boy Scout, Be Prepared!

That's the reason there are safety rules. Some people disregard them and manage to get people killed. One buddy of my just died because some jackass disregarded the rules.

I assume all of you know this, so this is for some lurking noobs out there that might wanna do it right.

Always assume any firearm is loaded and cocked, treat it that way, even if you know it isn't.

Do not point it at anything or anyone you do not wish to send it or them into the next world.

Keep your booger-hook off of the bang switch until you are ready to fire. (This is non negotiable and I've heard that Navy SEALs themselves have absolutely no tolerance for this rule to ever be broken.)

Chamber check your firearm, I would suggest chamber checking twice. If you can't remember if you did, do it again. There are two ways to do it, learn both. One is visual, the other is cracking back the slide or bolt and feeling in the chamber for a round cylindrical object that may suggest a cartridge is loaded. Why the chamber? Cuz if the spring is weak, the extractor may not be functioning properly. Assume Murphy will be screwing with you, check the chamber.

That's what comes off the top of my head. Stay safe out there, don't be a moron.

As Tony Rumore told me on here once, "There are some people that are sober that I wouldn't trust with a gun." so don't be one of them.

By all means check with a blood sucking lawyer. Just try to convey that you are trying to actually follow the law and you prolly won't be lied to in order to protect his own ass. Officers many times mean well but they assume they know the law but do not. Like it's been said, in Tenn you can have one with a loaded mag but on an empty chamber with a permit. I think this works as I would only want to reach for my rifle in a self defense situation near my vehicle in a dire situation. Rifle rounds naturally go further and puts me more at risk for possible collateral damage.

Edited by ShadowFire
  • Like 1

All very good points, safety first! ALL firearms are ALWAYS loaded! Another rule at our range, Never hand a loaded firearm to anyone. We see people all the time who pick up, hold, lay down a firearm with that booger hook curled up on the trigger, or point the weapon around like it's a popsicle. We follow IDPA guidelines, and condense warnings for the 2 most important rules of firearm safety to "MUZZLE!" and "FINGER!"

I tell people the best home defense weapon is a 12 ga pump (think I'll change that now that I have a couple Saiga's!) With a pump you will save on shells, never heard of a deaf home invader/robber/pos, they all know what that racking sound means, and you will probably just hear feet slapping the ground, fading off into the distance. Racking a Saiga should achieve the same result, and unless you load up slugs, a miss might not kill your neighbor across the street.

I learned this when I was five, guys.

what I learned when I was ten, however, was to treat OTHER PEOPLE'S firearms as if they were loaded, and kept an eyeball in the back of my head for inappropriate muzzle or trigger control, and avoided the situation by gaining control over said muzzle failure. I still practice it to this day, and you DONT want ME ganking your muzzle away from someone's face.....at the different shoots i have been to or partly hosted, or been a part of, I notice this inadequate control, and am not often quiet about it when i see it/control it.

#4's is the agreed upon civilian load indoors, by the different LEOs that have been to the forum over the years.

Sir, the racking of any large chambered weapon is unmistakable even to the untrained in the dark. your damn right the saiga just put that pump action racking thing to the dirt. The noise it makes is unmistakeable. The reliability is legendary.

seperate from the above post....question

how would an SBS SBR or AOW carry here? NFA items are not pistols, right? you mean to tell me that it is legal to load up my AOW or SBS without having a permit, loaded, in my truck and just leave one in there? the logic is flawed. unless i missed "NFA item exception" rule no. b52....???

Id never do it, but you are telling me that that is legal? which DA supports this? :D

Hey Ben, Chapter 790.221 Possession of short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or machine gun, sub-section (3) reads "Firearms in violation hereof which are lawfully owned and possessed under provisions of federal law are excepted" (NFA legal is how I interpret that, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Sub-sections (1) and (2) say it's unlawful to possess them (if not NFA legal) and that it's a 2nd degree felony. Seems like it would also be a federal crime.

790.25 sub-section 5 Possession in Private Conveyance is what Sumsky posted page 1 of this thread, and I paraphrased on page 1 "Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use"

I know for sure that you and many others on here are much more familiar with Federal NFA rules, that's outside of my expertise, don't own any currently, sounds like a big hassle to me. I will have more info on this tomorrow after talking to a buddy who does and is very knowledgeable about NFA, but still, EVERYONE who owns or wants to own or carry ANY weapons or firearms in Florida needs to completely read the statutes! If you're going to own NFA weapons I would hope you know those Federal laws backwards and forwards. BATF&E is no one to mess with, as I am sure most on this forum already know. If Federal law says you can't have them in a vehicle, or says they can't be loaded in a vehicle, then it's against Federal law.

Under Florida Law it appears to me they are just another firearm as long as you legally own/possess under federal law, and if so, if you can conceal it on your body CCW laws would apply, I will verify this tomorrow.

Vehicle conveyance says nothing about loaded, unloaded, round in the chamber or type of firearm, to the best of my knowledge. Please read the statutes and give me your opinion, I am also sending an email to an attorney with this question, anyone can do the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but reference the source, "somebody told somebody" or "I heard" doesn't count, and we shouldn't be posting opinions or hearsay!

Edited by wearefla

I learned this when I was five, guys.

what I learned when I was ten, however, was to treat OTHER PEOPLE'S firearms as if they were loaded, and kept an eyeball in the back of my head for inappropriate muzzle or trigger control, and avoided the situation by gaining control over said muzzle failure. I still practice it to this day, and you DONT want ME ganking your muzzle away from someone's face.....at the different shoots i have been to or partly hosted, or been a part of, I notice this inadequate control, and am not often quiet about it when i see it/control it.

#4's is the agreed upon civilian load indoors, by the different LEOs that have been to the forum over the years.

Sir, the racking of any large chambered weapon is unmistakable even to the untrained in the dark. your damn right the saiga just put that pump action racking thing to the dirt. The noise it makes is unmistakeable. The reliability is legendary.

seperate from the above post....question

how would an SBS SBR or AOW carry here? NFA items are not pistols, right? you mean to tell me that it is legal to load up my AOW or SBS without having a permit, loaded, in my truck and just leave one in there? the logic is flawed. unless i missed "NFA item exception" rule no. b52....???

Id never do it, but you are telling me that that is legal? which DA supports this? biggrin.png

Ben, come on now. You know we cant leave NFA weapons in a car trunk unattended, they have to be securely locked in a safe. They can only be transported by the legal owner to or from the range or for repair. wearefla does not own NFA item so he doesn not know the NFA laws, he is just quoting general firearms laws from the 790 statutes which does not pertain to NFA. I own a few NFA weapons. Unfair question, when you already know the answer being a NFA owner. its good to have people on here that are dedicated and do know the Firearms laws.Play nice.

Edited by Sumsky

Thanks Sumsky, I try to make it clear when I'm asked a question that's outside of my expertise. In real estate (I'm a broker) we are trained NOT to answer questions with opinions, my usual response if I don't know the answer is "I don't know, but I'll find out", and if it's a legal question outside of my limited legal knowledge I say "You need to consult an attorney". I use the same standard for firearm law questions.

Ben's question said "carry here" If there is a Florida statute that says you can't carry a particular legal to possess firearm or type or class of firearm I would love to hear about it so I can give my students accurate information. Subsection 3 says, again, "lawfully owned and possessed under provisions of federal law" which to me means Federal law trumps state law regarding those firearms.

This thread quickly evolved from a legitimate question about Florida Weapon and Firearm Laws concerning carry of an AK (NFA was not mentioned) in a vehicle to incorrect info and opinions on Florida law, (I played nice with those) then to basic, and I mean the most basic, common sense firearm safety rules, to National Firearms Act carry and transport of Federally regulated firearms.

This is a great forum with some of the best technical experts on the AK platform I have ever seen. I will always try to post facts and sources, and make it clear if it's my opinion, and only on subjects I am familiar with. Otherwise, I will post questions seeking answers to questions outside of my expertise.

So now I have a question, is it legal under Federal Law to concealed carry an NFA firearm?

When I have time I will read the NFA section on this forum and research other sources.

If in doubt, don't!

actually, they dont have to be locked up at all. you only need to answer to where it is when they come. Secure means of storage can mean that your front fucking gate is locked. end of story.

yes, the next question is if I blast someone with an SBS at 3am, and take a piss on thier body while im waiting for the cops to show up, if the gun is legal and registered/ok from daddy, do i go to jail for using that particular one to kill the crackhead that just broke into my house? reasonable secure storage does not mean my closet has to be steel lined or even have a lock on it. I worked with NFA items for years with a creditable FFL/SOT, so Im not even going to argue it further. Id still shoot said crackhead with NFA item. if thats whats handy, no problem. prosecute me. take out life insurance on yourself if you are going to, as well.

I dont see any provisions where its illegal, but I gotta tell ya, the cops can take anything forever if they want to as evidence under the patriot act, why risk it, unless its a cheapie baikal cut down. A 100 dollar police special with worn out sights will work just as good, in most cases.

as for the (off base) implication above, Im not even going to address it.

If god forbid, I must take someone's life, I dont care which means I use to do it, and I doubt the court will either, so long as its legal.

Edited by Ben Vampatella
  • Like 1