Failure to Feed malfunction

I took my Saiga out for the first time this afternoon and put 100 rounds through it. Very pleased. I have 3 Hungarian 20 round tanker mags and I had 2 FTF malfunctions with one of the mags. The bolt cycled, ejected the empty case and then stayed open failing to go forward to chamber the next round. I pulled the bolt back and released it and the next round chambered fine. Ammo was Monarch FMJ. All the other mags functioned fine. Is this a mag issue or ammo issue?

2012-02-25_14-30-25_287.jpg

Yes, on the bullet guide. I purchased this rifle already converted and the bullet guide is welded in place. I reacted instinctively too quickly to clear the malfunction and did not take the time to examine it closely. I set the magazine that is suspect aside and will try it again the next time out. If it malfunctions again I'll take the time to examine it before I clear it.

If its only with one of the mags, it's got to the mag. Mark it with paint or tape something and use it for the range only. Makes a good training device for clearing malfs.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Both mags may be within the standard manufacturing tolerences, (loose, obviously), but that welded bullet guide may be just fucked enough to only allow one to work.

Obviously, I don't know if it's the problem in this particular case, but anytime I hear "welded" and "bullet guide" in the same sentence, red flags go up.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Usually means they busted the tap off and were too lazy to fix it right.

Not even slightly true. Many companies that convert the rifles, and gunsmiths, weld them becuase it takes far less time than drilling, tapping, and threading in a screw.

What I would do if I were the op. would be buy ten more mags. And check all of them for function, if they work, pitch the shitty mag.

Id still take anyone's bet that your mag is the culprit.

• Like 1

It was strange, but the feed lips were stretched outward on both sides. You could see it on close inspection, but I missed it at a casual glance. I put it in a vice and cranked on it until it was where it needed to be.

I think your problem is different, but I would suspect the mag. Those surplus tanker mags are well used.

Here's a photo of the bullet guide. When I took the rifle apart to take the photo I noticed a slight nick on the front edge of the bullet guide. I hadn't notice it before (I probably didn't have my reading glasses on). I plan on taking a small file to clean up the nick and I'll also polish the black finish off the rest of the front edge. I wonder if the feed lips on that suspect magazine are bent and making the front of the bullets strike the bullet guide?

P6020237s.jpg