advantages or disadvantages of 5.45 over 223

This is probably an obvious total noob question and shouldn't have posted but tried to search and didn't find much either way.

I am looking to buy first rifle and think that 5.45x39 maybe it cost of ammo is big factor.Looking for something that can be multi purposed.And reload able at decent cost.223 was suggested by a friend.

Looking for advise to hopefully help out noob.

Read somewhere that if going to have Russian that 7.62x39 should be first one reason was availability of ammo.Does that sound true?

I have posted about buying first rifle before but that was maker now looking for info on caliber.

Thanks in advance and if need be sorry for waste of space and delete

Advantages to 5.45 - cheaper ammo, shoots as well as .223

Disadvantage to 5.45 - mostly surplus or import ammo so supply could dry up if import laws on ammo change, ammo may be have to shipped and hazmat fees could drive cost up unless you have a local and regular source. not reloadable as far as I know, but it's a mute point with the AK.

You can reload once fired brass to reduce cost of 223 but once you fire it out of an AK it usually get the AK kiss and the brass is toast, and can't be reloaded. Also you have to invest in reloading equipment so you may have to reload and shoot a few thousand rounds to recoup cost.

Personally, I reload once fired 223 and make nearly match grade ammo, for what most guys pay for Wolf Steel case 223 @ 1000rnds. I usually buy in bulk minimum 5000 pcs, and mutiple 8lbs kegs of Varget to get cost down. Sometimes you gotta set aside the money to buy in bulk and save. The reason I shoot 223 over other calibers is that I own other rifles in the same caliber so it makes snese to keep one caliber for me.

...once you fire it out of an AK it usually get the AK kiss and the brass is toast, and can't be reloaded.

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!!!!!!

I reload "kissed" brass all the time... Sure I am not going to mix it in with NEW, MATCH quality reloads... but for plinking and just general shooting purposes it reloads and fires JUST FINE! Will I get TEN re-loadings out of it?? Probably not... but I have some thats on its 4th or 5th and still no signs of splits, cracks, thinning, or bad spots... 032.gif

000.gif

Some random thoughts on the subject:

- Finding quality magazines and getting them to fit and work with your gun can be a problem with the S223. If you can get that problem sorted out - and for some people's rifle it's really easy - it's a great platform.

- I prefer 5.45 on account of the cheap ammo. But if you can't afford to stock it deep, or don't wish to clean after shooting corrosive ammo, you probably want another caliber.

- 5.45 should be inherently more reliable than 223 on account of cartridge design, but the S223 should be plenty reliable.

- I dislike shooting 5.56 out of a 16 inch barrel. There is a lot of unburnt powder and it is obnoxiously loud and issues a big fireball. (.223 is better though). 5.45 is designed for a 16 inch barrel. If going with a Saiga 223, consider getting 20 inch barrel and either leave it that length or chop to 18 inches as a compromise.

- 7.62x39 is the easiest in terms of magazine and ammo availability. I just don't like the caliber.

Edited by Jim Digriz

An S-.223 with an adapter for AR mags is on my short list. I have no desire or use for the 5.45.

Standard AK and AR mags will always be available due to the sheer number of them that have been made.

I have an AK. I do not want arn AR, but do want a reliable gun to shoot .223/5.56 ammo from AR mags.

If my budget were larger, an S-5.45 would make sense. If you shoot hundreds of rounds weekly, the cheap ammo would pay for the gun in a short time.

...once you fire it out of an AK it usually get the AK kiss and the brass is toast, and can't be reloaded.

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!!!!!!

I reload "kissed" brass all the time... Sure I am not going to mix it in with NEW, MATCH quality reloads... but for plinking and just general shooting purposes it reloads and fires JUST FINE! Will I get TEN re-loadings out of it?? Probably not... but I have some thats on its 4th or 5th and still no signs of splits, cracks, thinning, or bad spots... 032.gif

000.gif

I'm not so lucky most of mine is kissed to a crease that I would not want to reload for safety concerns.

I've shot a few thousand 5.45 rounds out of a S&W 15R (Ar Ar-15 chambered in 5.45x39) and it works fine on the range. However it kicked my ass in a class, so I won't try it again in a class. The main problem is that the c products magazines suck. A more minor issues is that if you get a double feed clearing it in an AR-15 upper is a lot more painful than with 5.56 due to the 5.45 round profile, it wedges the round in hard.

I keep meaning to buy an AK in 5.45, but haven't yet.

The ammo seems as accurate as 5.56 for tactical shooting. I've never tried precision shooting with it. Using bulk commie surplus 5.45 bought for about 15 cents per round (including shipping), it has gone bang every time. As I bought the gun to shoot an AR cheaply it works. But you need to rinse out the gun (including barrel) with water to get the corrosive salts removed after shooting, and you should do that for an AK is shooting soviet surplus.

Thanks for all input to date.

I am considering trade for a 106ur but still negotiating he wants 500 plus a saiga 12 not sure if I want to do it can get pistol and add stock. Have a 107cr on the way and waiting to hear on offer for sgl32.

Keep information coming.

Thanks again for helping new shooter