Fit problems with ak 47 parts on .308 Saiga

I'm looking to convert my saiga, but I seem to keep running into fit problems because it's a .308. I really want to use the black laminate timbersmith set, but I'm not quite sure what all is needed to make that happen. I was planning on getting either the modified or Tromix g2 fire control group (not sure of the difference there or which is better) from ccs as well as an angled trigger guard from them, timbersmith black laminate stock set, new romanian gas tube (At least I was about to, but I read somewhere I need to modify the gas tube?), cheapest lower hand guard retainer I can find that fits a .308 (ak47-saiga.com?) and maybe sgm muzzle brake. It seems every time I think I have a handle on what has to be replaced or modified I find something new. I'm nervous about the trigger conversion but I think I can handle it, is there any other modification I didn't hint on that will be needed.

Also if anyone is looking to get rid of any of the parts I mentioned pm me and we can work something out.

Everything is a little different on the .308. The safety levers are shorter due to the trigger they use in the .308, so you have to get the modified G2 or add some metal to the safety lever.

The lower handguard will require a good amount to be removed from the inside, as the barrel is much thicker. Gas tube needs to be altered a bit as again the barrel is thicker.

Nothing hugely hard, just a little more involved.

I used the black laminate Timbersmith on my Norinco. I had to remove quite a bit of the lower handguards interior to get it to fit on the larger chinese barrel, I can only guess at the additional material requiring removal for the 308 to fit, but id guess its probably close to 1/4 an inch. Refer to this thread (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/26419-list-of-reference-dimensions-for-ak-barrels-and-their-components/) may help you with understanding the amounts required. I think the Timbersmith set is measured for a Romanian sized barrel. In regards to the trigger, if you are handy enough with a Dremel, you can do the G2 work yourself and get a standard AK safety and it will operate fine. If you want to just plaug and play, you can order the parts from any number of vendors on these forums. Gas tube......that can be a pain. Id suggest ordering it from Dinzag or another reputable vendor. It can be done but theres a lot of grinding and its time consuming to get it right (ask how I know what.gif ). Good luck and be sure to post a pic up once your done.

I had the black laminate timersmith stock and pistol grip on mine for a while. I don't really see the point of converting the handguard on the 308. I'm not an AK afficionado so it doesn't bother me. I did try putting the handguard on the 308 and low and behold it snapped like a twig, unfortunately I just don't think Timbersmith is very good quality compared to other wood furniture out there. Also places like CSS and Tac47 are making 308 specific handguards.

I had their black tri-rail with the timbersmith and it looked cool, but the stock was extremely uncomfortable and it was difficult for me to lineup the irons.

I had the black laminate timersmith stock and pistol grip on mine for a while.......I did try putting the handguard on the 308 and low and behold it snapped like a twig

Did you do any grinding of the interior of the handguard before you attempted to install or just forced it on as delivered? As I stated above, the stock set is intended for Romanian AKs and their dimensions. So fitting is required on any others. I wonder if yours split due to the 308 requiring too much material removal or if it wasnt ground down enough