Can the Saiga 12 be converted to fixed mag?

Pre-ban pump? Does my take down Remington model 10 count? The tube magazine detaches from the receiver. Of course, the barrel is attached to it!

Modify all the new mags that you want. Just don't modify them to fit a semi-auto if the modification allows for more than 10 round capacity. Don't modify them so they will not operate in the original gun.

Last gun show I bought a SIG P229. Before I got it out the door, 3 different people asked me if it was a pre-ban. It doesn't matter! :lolol:

IOW, nothing about tubular magazines. According to the law, there is no difference, other than a removable magazine. A belt for a Browning machinegun is a high cap magazine.

If you have a shotgun with an extended magazine, which does not have a pistol grip, (Benelli comes to mind), go ahead. If it has the pistol grip, console yourself with the 5 round mag. (until the AWB sunsets.)

If you have a pump gun, blast away! :killer:

Let me throw in a curve ball.....

Look closely at the law he posted, there is no limit on the capacity of your detachable mag. A while back someone said that the 8rd saiga mag is legal, except that it is banned from importation, so basically you can't have it in US....But you can still take another mag that's already here(USAS-12) and convert to fit...that's where I'm heading!

The high capacity magazine laws are NOT part of the same set of laws as the guns which is prolly why everyone is so confused about it. When i have more than two minutes and a half a bottle of aspirin for the headache i will get finding the law again, Ill dig it up. I found it though.

• 1 month later...

I have a Saiga shotgun and I also have an SKS 7.62x39

I know I'm a newbie but here are my thoughts:

1) Althugh it is likely that AWB will sunset, I'm not counting on it <_< . The fat lady hasn't sung yet, and my wife needs me to move the trigger forward for her to use it now (and that means a pistol grip).

2) If I could choose, I would take the pistol grip, and sacrifice the removable mag. I only have one mag anyway so I either; remove it from the gun, reload the mag and lock the mag back on the saiga, or I simply reload a fixed mag on the gun itself.

3) The assault weapons ban is a lie perpetrated against a largely decent but ignorant public. :angry:

Now what I'm looking for is a magazine that I could attach to my Saiga shotgun to operate just like my SKS's fixed box mag. I only want it to hold five rounds. Then a pistol grip would be legal on the shotgun. ^_^

By the way, the SKS's drop box fixed mag reloads really fast since you can literally just drop the rounds in the box. When the mag is open the sping moves out of the way with the mag's door and when you have dropped the rounds in you simply slap the door/spring closed. This is the way I'd like to go. Compliant and faster reloading! :D

Has anyone seen a fixed mag solution like this for any AK or Saiga? :unsure:

Brian :)

The Saiga 12 cannot unfortunately be made to feed like an SKS.

1. You can only load a double stack mag by pushing straight down. Single stack must be loaded by sliding rounds in at the front. No can do with a fixed mag. Only the Mosin Nagant has a system to get around this.

2. The SKS does not have its piston affixed to the bolt carrier like the Saiga. The SKS can have its bolt retracted and the piston won't come too.

If you can find a way around these, more power too you. But by that point, you might as well design a whole new gun. For the trouble it would take, I'd suggest a tube fed autoloader for the wife.

Is it just my perception Bvamp, or do you try to end the friendly discussion in threads, or do you not recognize the negativity in your responses? :huh:

Forgive my presumptuousness, I know it is not my place to give you social information, but maybe you are a nice guy that just comes off poorly. <_< Written communication has such a tendency to be interpreted as rude or mean behavior. And if we write the way we talk, when in talking there is emotion and inflection, when we write those words down they are now devoid of any of the emotion, inflection, and linguistic wit that verbal communication takes for granted ;) .

Bearing that in mind writing more politely than we normally have to when we speak, and using the emoticons to help bridge the lack of "body language" goes a long way in helping to convey the information and feelings you really intend. The old "you better be smiliing when you say that" comes to mind, if you know what I mean. :D

BrianW :)

OK, now for some real info...

I'm an engineer and like taking on challenges. I made a CAD solid model of five 20ga shells (my guage) and the magazine. I was able to study the geometry and to see if one could manufacture an SKS style of fixed magazine.

BattleRifleG3, I wasn't trying to load the rounds in the top loading stripper clip SKS style. I was talking about opening and hinging the magazine bottom, then just dropping the shells in while holding the gun with the magazine facing up.

I went through a number of approaches and abandoned them if they seemed too complicated, too costly or too slow to load. :google: In order to make the magazine operate like the SKS, the pivot point extended about 1 inch into the fore-grip. The pivot point was dicated by the clearance needed to swing the arc for the spring pusher plate to both clear over the shell giudes and be able to press the shells but also to be able to provide the spring force to the shells from the 5 shell position all the way to the last shell. Also the pivot needed to allow the magazine cover with the spring to swing over the top of the shell giudes and to latch into the standard magazine locking lever.

Then I got a new idea! :up:

I thought of a way to modify a standard mag to be able to load it without removing it nor disassembling it. If it works, I'll post the picture (no need to risk anyone else's mag if it doesn't work). :google:

The last issue is making the magazine nonremovable without doing any damage to the gun. By using a screw to prevent the mag release from be actuated by hand, or by securing the mag another way to prevent its removal, would make it a fixed magazine.

Any ideas anyone?? :)

All I've seen is somebody using a small allen set screw through the locking lever to prevent its actuation. I can't recall where I saw it, but I know it was on another (non-Saiga) gun.

Thanks, and I'll post anything else that I discover.

BrianW :D

• 3 weeks later...

BrianW, yeh, I hear ya with being rude and all. Im still saying that for all that trouble a non-removeable magazine 12 would just seem a better choice to me.

As for the allen screw holding the mag release down, I think to be legal that would have to be welded on there, much like the AR collapsable stocks are pinned and welded in place.

All you California gun owners should get together and kick out all the liberal scum (including the worthless gun-hating politicians) who make that state such a cesspool to live in now. :angry:

I bet if an actor or sports figure with enough money and connections (Alec Baldwin?) wanted an unmodified Saiga-12 with a five round magazine they wouldn't have any problem getting one. Hell, even Feinstein herself probably got one (or two?) tucked away in a closet somewhere. :chris:

Would hinging the magazine (grind off lug that normally locks into the front of magwell and replace with a hinge- pivot point somewhere ahead of magwell)make it OK for commiefornia? You would then need to release magcatch hold muzzle down and reload. If the hinge is screwed on and the pivot pin requires tools to remove,it should be"fixed" mag. Also later it could be removed and regular mags used. :sorcerer:

G O B

a simple weld or welded pin would do it I think. HOW to get the gun INTO cali FIRST is the question.

and yeh, I think that if it were converted to a hinged magazine, that would be cali OK then.

Edited by Bvamp