Hello there,

I'm in the search for really good quality polymer handguards to use on my Saiga restoration. I may mount some sort of optics in the furture and was considering hg's with a rail setup. I've read a lot of things regarding the offerings from Tapco, Hogue and Kvar, but I'm more interested in hearing more about other brands such as Mako, Command Arms, STK, UTG, Ultimak and MWI. I was hoping to get some first hand experience and possibly some advice from you guys. Ultimately I am looking for something that won't melt after 100 rounds or is a flimsy piece of plastic. Feel free to post about a brand not listed. Thanks. : )

So you're going to mount it using a traditional/bolt on handguard retainer?

Also all I can say is that the k-var set will not melt after 300 rounds. Wooden sets will warm up rather fast and the finish will start to bubble, lol.

Good luck.

Hello there,

I'm in the search for really good quality polymer handguards to use on my Saiga restoration. I may mount some sort of optics in the furture and was considering hg's with a rail setup. I've read a lot of things regarding the offerings from Tapco, Hogue and Kvar, but I'm more interested in hearing more about other brands such as Mako, Command Arms, STK, UTG, Ultimak and MWI. I was hoping to get some first hand experience and possibly some advice from you guys. Ultimately I am looking for something that won't melt after 100 rounds or is a flimsy piece of plastic. Feel free to post about a brand not listed. Thanks. : )

K-Var/Arsenal furniture is great, if polymer is what you want. Does an OK job of discipating heat (About as good as wood, not as good as the MI rail I've got on there). For an optic mount, MI/US Palm or Ultimak are probably the best way, if you really want a forward-mounted optic. Both have been shown to hold zero well.

I've got the Surefire polymer Tri-Rail handguard. Its fits on the gun solid as a rock and I've had zero isues with it so far. I've done some rapid fire mag dumps several times and heat has never been a problem either.

Ive heard nothing but good about the SGM tri rail.

That said, it attatches in the factory hg config, and doesnt give that 'ak' look because it doesnt need the hg retainer and doesnt show the gas tube.

Also, the only gripe some people have is that the rails dont go all the way back. They start after 1/3 of the handguard. So if you want to mount a close in vert grip, you may be out of luck.

For about 100bucks, you get the SGM quad rail with the top rail over your gas tube, to mount a forward optic.

If you are cool with the way theyre designed, they are a good option. It all depends on your idea of 'restoration'.

I had the surefire on mine for a while and it was great. The only reason I changed is because I wanted to go with a classic look, and put wood furniture on my rifle. It's a sturdy piece and after shooting with the wood hg, I feel like the surefire heated up more slowly.

I went with the Chaos rail and have been pleased with it so far. I put a grip pod on it so I haven't noticed it heating up. Then again it's aluminum. I think it looks sharp and seems pretty functional, plus it comes with it's own version of retainer. The retainer alone is 50.00 at CSS.

I'm not bashing CSS. I bought my Chaos and all my conversion parts from them. I think they rock, but 50.00 bucks is kinda steep for what it is.

I think I paid 120.00 for the Chaos rail. It has all the space I need should I try to go tacticool.super_man.gif