Was wondering?

I bought a SWR Octane 9-HD 2nd gen. two weeks ago.

and was wondering if anyone was shooting the 300 BLK round in Sub.

My plan is to get a barrel for a a upper I have just lying around.

Cut/form my own brass ( I have 16 5 gallon buckets of .223/556 )

I Just need the dies and barrel.

I'lI cast/size/lube my own Subs I already have all the equipment for that to.

Been shooting 308/30-06/30-30 hard cast for years

So after my silencer purchase my cost is small to get into the 300 BLK. (less than 300 bux)

Barrel 200

Form die 40

reloading dies 40

I bought this can for my G17, UZI, and M/10, but figured I could slam it on a 300 BLK since it's rated for it and cheap to get into ( @ least for me that is)

I've spent the last three days reading about the 300 BLK good and bad.

So ya shooting 300 BLK? if so how do you like it?

PS:

I am no way a AAC fanboy just looking for one more option to get quite.

I've shot it. Don't particularly like it. Was shooting a colt lower and custom built upper. Darn thing jammed repeatedly with both super and sub sonic ammo. Maybe it was the mags, I'm not really sure.

I have a 300 Whisper dedicated to subsonic loads and I also have a 300 BLK that is setup for supersonic. The 300 BLK is a homebrew and runs subs and supers like a dream and it hits hard!

If you like the 7.62x39, the 300 BLK is the AR friendly equivalent that can also do the subsonic work if you have a suppressor. It can be very accurate and cheap to reload with low up-front costs if you are already into the AR in .223.

The cost of bullets for the subsonic 300 Blackout is very high compared to 9mm. However the versatility of the round is excellent. If you look at the cost of buying a 7.62x39 upper, and 9mm upper and all the mags, blocks, buffers etc., you would be looking at a very big expense vs. the 300 BLK for the same function in one rifle.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

Thanks

I'm seeing good and bad from it As posted by both you guys.

It's more of a toy for me I have the Octane 9HD in the works ( my 3rd suppressor 8th stamp)

I have 90% of what I need for it,

like I said all I really have to buy is the barrel and dies so was trying to get a idea on it.

I'm only going to be shooting it out to 75 yards

For the price it will cost me to get into it I think it should be a fun custom.

I pretty much have read all I can on it in the last two weeks just wondering opinions on it.

I run supers out of a 10" barrel AR pistol, subs for grins sometimes. I have had zero issues with function but I'm using the Noveske KX3 which creates more backpressure. When I can afford it I'd like to get a suppressor for it, so please continue to post your findings, thanks!

BuffetDestroyer-What length is the barrel your using for your supersonic setup? I'm in the midst of a build that was going to be a 6.5 Grendel but at this point I don't feel like spending all the extra money (and have another caliber to reload) for bolt, mags, ammo, reloading stuff when I could have a rifle in 300 blackout also. What kind of velocity are you getting and with what ammo?

I run supers out of a 10" barrel AR pistol, subs for grins sometimes. I have had zero issues with function but I'm using the Noveske KX3 which creates more backpressure. When I can afford it I'd like to get a suppressor for it, so please continue to post your findings, thanks!

BuffetDestroyer-What length is the barrel your using for your supersonic setup? I'm in the midst of a build that was going to be a 6.5 Grendel but at this point I don't feel like spending all the extra money (and have another caliber to reload) for bolt, mags, ammo, reloading stuff when I could have a rifle in 300 blackout also. What kind of velocity are you getting and with what ammo?

I put the 300 BLK together with whatever parts I could find laying around or on sale (Surplus Arms Receiver, Spikes BCG, YHM freefloat). I did splurge a little on the Wilson Combat Recon Contour 16" barrel with the carbine gas system. It is a great barrel and is very accurate for a $250 barrel.

I chronographed some loads with 125 Speer TNT's in the mid 2,200's in cooler winter temperatures. I am working with just handloads, and am not pushing the pressure curve on these (about 5-10% below max). I have tried H110 and Alliant Power Pro MP 2000 with success. If you don't mind cratering and high pressure, you could probably get into the 2400 fps range with bullets that have better Ballistic Coefficients than the 7.62x39 out of a 16" barrel. I would not hesitate bringing it deer or hog hunting with the Barnes TTSX black tip.

I haven't chony'ed the Remington 115 cheapo rounds ($12 per box o' 20), but the accuracy was decent though I have heard of some quality control issues. If you like the 7.62x39, the 300 BLK actually hits a little harder past 150-200 yards because of the better Ballistic Coefficients despite the initially lower velocity. When ringing steel at distance, even the misses thump the ground hard!

If you want to do mid-distance stuff (300-600+ yards) in the small frame AR platform, get the Grendel. I have a DPMS .260 Remington that is the way to go for over 1,000 yards but it has a 24" barrel and is heavy.

If you won't be shooting past 300 yards, the 300 BLK is the way to go.

On a side note, I have a larger gas port for my 300 Whisper that allows more versatility of subsonic cycling and I have a load with Alliant 2400 powder on pulled 175 Sierra Matchkings that I can load for about $.20/round with formed & cut range pickup brass. Accuracy is within 1.5 MOA.

I've got a AAC 9" upper and it's awesome. Remember that most setups won't run subs without a can. The AAC will but most others won't, I don't think that really matters the only reason I'd use subs is with a can. I'm tying to talk the ball and chain into a aac 7.62sdn6 I'm almost there with her. It's a great caliber, I've notice that most of the brass I made from .223 won't hold a bullet, figured out I need to anneal so keep that in mind if you run into that problem. I think .300 blackout should be the 2nd most popular ar caliber, its the only way to go for inside 300 yards. By the way I've shot around 200 rounds with no problems at all all of those with magpul mags.

I have a CMMG upper, pistol gas, free floating barrel with factory railed hand guard. Runs great. Sent it in to Liberty Suppressors for a Leonidas build. http://libertycans.net/leonidas.html But, my Leonidas will not be a true Integral. The Can will be threaded to the now 9" barrel, not pinned. The assembled firearm will be a 2 stamp gun.

I also bought a Savage Model 12 FLV in .223. I bedded and mounted a Ken Farrel 40 moa rail. http://www.kenfarrel...V-RTS-1-40.html

I have a deposit on and am waiting for a threaded 16" SS 300 BLK barrel for my Savage. When built, this will be a 600 yard gun. Supersonic rounds should stay supersonic to 600 yards. And with the rail scope combination I am using, I will have the 75 moa or so needed to place a subsonic at 600 yards without holdover. Suppressed. I will be using a Liberty Infiniti and hopefully the Leonidas can, if the threading is standard.

Also, you don't need a form die, the regular FL sizing die should do just fine. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/934234/lee-pacesetter-2-die-set-300-aac-blackout?cm_vc=S015714043 But, cutting down brass is time consuming. The price on ready made and even factory brass has come down, a lot. I bought 600 rounds on GB for $90. Might change your budget, but time is valuable too. You might need this, too...http://www.midwayusa.com/product/196624/ptg-headspace-go-gage-300-aac-blackout-762x35mm

Edited by 1mile50