Turned some AK haters into Saiga lovers this weekend !

Went up to the family farm on Saturday to celebrate the 4th early as my nephew and his better half were in from Conneticut, and that ALWAYS includes bringing the Saigas up for his better half. She fell in love with them the first time she shot them, and it's an annual thing now. Anyway, the neighbors heard the shooting and came down. The neighbor had a guest with him that had just gotten in from the sandbox a few months back and was wanting to shoot his Savage .243.

Well, he was staring at the x39, the .223, and especially the S12, so I told him to pick what he wanted and give it a whirl. He said he'd love to try the shotty, but didn't have any use for any AK, he'd shot them in Afghanistan, and wasn't too impressed, to which my nephew replied, "yeah, but you haven't shot THAT one". Well he ended up going through several mags with each, and when he got through, he said "that ain't no regular AK!" I told him no, it wasn't a regular AK, it was a well made and slightly customized one. Then he wanted to hear the story about Saigas , what I had done to each, and how they held up. Before he left, he had me giving him websites to where he could purchase them and the goodies to convert/restore them. I also told him to come here for directions on what to do and ideas on different configurations.

Before he left, he offered to pay for the rounds that he'd shot, but I told him not to worry, just put it toward his collection of Saigas, because he couldn't have just one! :)

All in all, a great day.

• Like 5

Yep, it was worth the ammo to "convert" someone! LOL They really had a great time and were surprised that I had no problem withem using my rifles and shotty. I knew they were shooters and knew how to handle a firearm. Also felt it was the least I could do for the recently retired Ranger. If you make it back from that part of the world in one piece after a couple of tours, you deserve a little courtesy from us civies! He was from up north and visiting family. He commented to Yank (his nickname) that not only were his neighbors, but "these southerners" sure were some friendly folks, but anyone would be a fool to mess with them cause even the women and kids could shoot! I had to laugh at that.haha.gif

• Like 3

I love the look on peoples faces when they see me swaping ar mags with a friend to shoot in my 223 saiga. The general responses are either "oh, never mind, I hate AKs" or "wait, I can drop it in mud, sand, water, run it over, throw it off a cliff and shoot that and I can convert it and use the mags I already have for my AR in it and it won't break my bank account?" Lol. Too much AK hate out there for the most used rifle in existance.

• Like 2