Essential Spare Parts

Let's say for whatever theoretical reason I wish to have certain key spare parts on hand rather than having to wait for a replacement part to come in the mail. (Provided the situation would even allow the parts to be ordered) I would assume the ideal situation would be to have an entire weapon from which parts could be taken or used in tact if needed. But, there's the cost issue.

I would assume "Most likely to fail" would figure into this. What parts that can be obtained would be good to have on hand for;

• AK Variants
  • Saiga 12s

Excellent question. My orientation is with M16s and AR15s, but even though the AK platform is much more durable, (in my opinion) you still will need some spare parts. The platforms may break only when you are using them. Duhh.

The current problem is that some critical spare parts for the Saiga platform are simply not available. Bolt groups, extractors, firing pins, bolt carriers, mag catch assemblies, top covers, internal springs and site assemblies are just a few.

Several individuals, including me, are working on getting SOME custom spare parts made up...again cost and quality is the stumbling point. The cure is factory spare parts, but that is not going to happen. Time may tell. HB of CJ (old coot)

Thanks for the input guys and yes, I understand that certain key components are simply not available...unless you buy a spare gun. I was just thinking in terms of like if I were going to go all Jeremiah Johnson or something, one broken part could turn a formidable weapon into a high tech club. I've had it happen with cars, a fitty cent part puts me on the side of the road. And car parts are a helluva lot easier to obtain than gun parts. My life has never really depended on a car (in an immediate sense) but it may depend on a gun some day. I'm going to be getting some spare parts for the Sigs so I thought I'd do the same with the long guns.

I understand there's going to be U.S. made carriers available sometime this year for the S12. You still might be able to find some for the rifles through K-Var, but haven't checked lately. I've got extra bolts for almost every Saiga I own, and a couple carriers for rifles. Sold my S12 carrier a while back, but I might get another down the road.

As for what you can actually find, and ones that might be prone to breaking or loss, I'd recommend: axis pins, springs, FCG parts, pucks (for shotguns). If you can find bolt parts like extractors, firing pins and such, get those too.

• Like 1

yes like corbin said, check k-var. they still have a very large selection of parts that you would be interested in for the rifles. also check soviet military. ive bought lots of small shit from him and he sent me doubles in some of them. may have been an error, but still a legit outfit.

your s12 will prolly be the hardest shit to come across based on what ive been shopping for recently. i randomly check the forum biz members cuz you never know what will show up available for sale.

I'm looking at the K-Var site and I have a question. With many of the internal parts, bolt carrier w/gas piston for instance, I'm seeing "Bulgarian" or "Russian" or "East German" after the part name. My AK is Chinese. So are these critical parts manufacturer specific or if the bolt carrier and gas piston are labeled "7.62x39" will they work with any 7.62x39? internal parts are the most important from a work/won't work point of view so it would be good to get the right thing if there is a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

they may work, but the parts will most likely not work due to variances in specs. id stick with the country of origin to be on the safe side so you dont dump money on something that may or may not work.

If a firearm proves unreliable, I have no place for it in my home. If it breaks, it leaves and I get something more reliable to replace it. That's why I like the AK platform. It has never failed me. I don't expect an AK or a S12 to break anything in my lifetime. But I believe in having duplicates in case my kids need them. I can not understand why anyone would own just a single version of anything that your life may depend on. Just buy 2 and get it over with. Not only will you have a spare, but you can share the spare with someone to help you in a time of need.

And then - buy a back up for the spare.

Edited by Groovy Mike
  • Like 2