Lazy workers or shortsighted companies?

So, Horse, here's my issue.

I don't have a high point. I've never shot one. So, I have no firsthand experience. But, I see kaboom videos

on youtube, and hear more stories about them than any other pistol.

Now, I own HKs; I may be a snob. HK is my favorite pistol brand. But, I own Tauruses as well. Other than some trigger

work on a Millennium and a PT740, all of the Tauruses have been fairly good. People love to rag on them, too, but only

like 10% of the ragging that Hi Point receives.

So, what do I believe? The hate is just hate? Or the guns have issues? Or somewhere in between?

The old dick-measuring contest has been going on from the beginning of time and it won't end until the end of time.

Mine's bigger, better, faster, prettier, lighter, .....

WHO GIVES A FUCK?

My guns (all of them) serve me exactly as they should. Which is to say that they work as advertised.

It's all personal preference and a free market. I actually don't want everyone to like the same things that I do....that only drives up demand and prices.

The stories you hear about Hi Points are pretty much gun snobs that get all bunched up over the fact that a gun that costs under $200 works (most times) more reliably than their (insert firearm manufacturer here). If you do a search on youtube for "Hi Point kaboom" the only one you get is one that's mounted in a huge C clamp with the clamp blocking the muzzle, and keeping the slide from cycling, of COURSE it's going to blow in two, so would any other pistol, that's not rocket science. My favorite is the one where two gents take one and put it through the ultimate torture test, everything they can think of.

Back in 08' early 09' you could not find AR-15s, then after a few months the market tanked and dozens of companies went out of business when the sales they had dropped off but the costs could not be eliminated. I remember a company called anvil arms that went under, I remember them because I bought my AR lower from them.

WOW!!!

That sucks... I did not know that... I bought 4 sequentially serial numbered lowers from them... VERY NICE lowers, too!!!! Free engraving on the magwell... and at the time, the price couldnt be beat... ( pics on the forums, of them... SOMEPLACE... and thats what my 458 SOCOM is built on too! :up: )

A shame they are defunct.... I wonder if that will make my lowers worth MORE someday?!?!?! HAHAHA :lol::up:

:smoke:

WOW.... Interesting.... Glad I got mine early... some were not so lucky to get theirs or their money back... :(

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/17/former-anvil-arms-operator-arrested-on-felony-charges/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/18/anvil-arms-gone-out-of-business/

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=146&t=970399

http://www.johnnyego.com/firearms/ars/anvil/index.html

:smoke:

I gave up on putting out resume's about two years after my layoff, I'm in my early 50s now, hard of hearing, a couple of bulging discs in my lower back that knock me out of doing most of what I did all my life, everything seems to hinge on being able to stoop, lift, bend, etc. Even applied at Walmart as a greeter, never even got an interview for that. The wife and I could live decently on her and my disability if we could get rid of a few thousand dollars of medical bills that need paid!

I did turn down one job at Enterprise car rentals, they said I'd have to wear a long sleeve shirt all the time because of my tats, and that ain't happening when the shop wasn't air conditioned!

I'll keep my business small and under the radar, working out of the shop and basement, turning an extra 10-11k a year helps a lot.

Then you, sir, should be denied disability! Yeah I went there!

I'm with you! According to the VA, I am 50% disabled from the things I did when Active Duty. Lots of times it feels like a lot more than that. Still, I bust my ass everyday still working for the Military as a civilian. There is no room to bitch if you turn down jobs because you are picky about dress codes. There are plenty of others out there that will take that job happily.

• Like 1

Shit, I know I'd be more likely to rent something, or buy something from an old boy behind the counter with a Navy/Army/Marine/Air Force tat on his forearm than some pimply faced idiot with a spray on tan.

But not from someone actually out in the sun getting a tan while.... actually working? Or, getting that same nice leathery look from standing beside a hot forge all day?

I have yet to see either of them gents at any of the Enterprise rental stores that I used over the years...most people who work outside for most of their lives find it difficult to keep a job like that for any length of time. I actually LIKED factory work for the most part as I always worked in either the fabrication department or assembly, other than my Fed job which was as QC inspector for the final assembly and shipping area, but that was cool too as I could wander around the hangar and no one ever asked me what I was doing, just carry a clipboard...