Ouch, sucks to be him... He is lucky though, it could've fragged his femoral and then he'd be dead.

I watched a guy lean over a mortar tube to check a supposed dud, as he looked down, it launched hitting him in the forehead, knocking him on his ass.

He had a big goose egg, some minor burns and lost some hair. Imagine if it had hit his eye and possibly detonated horror.gif

Set off three tubes on a table at the same time last year. First one launched, second one didn't. It fizzled and then blew up in the tube. The debris ripped the third one off it's base (they were screwed down). The third one then fell over and launched a TacticoolTim seeking missile which caught me about 20 feet away, running as fast as I could. It left a softball sized bruise on the back of my upper left thigh but didn't blow until I was another 20 feet away. I was paying attention while supervising the guys doing the launching and yelled "Incoming!" as soon as #2 dudded out and didn't launch. Everyone else dove for the ground and covered their heads but silly me thought running was a good idea. It wasn't.

All in all though, it turned out fairly well. Another 6 inches higher and to the right and I could have lost my virginity in a very colorful and spectacular fashion.

Dad/Dad is right. These things are dangerous as hell and should be treated as such. If you are going to do your own fireworks displays please don't mix alcohol with your duties and make sure you pay attention. Do not trust the skill sets of the Chinese kids putting these things together!

• Like 4

That had to hurt LOL

A friend of mine's pitbull got nailed with one of those mortar shells. Didn't like the hissing of the fuse so he tried to attack them. He jerked the leash out of her hand on one and ran up to the tube. It caught him under the chin. Burned all the hair off and flipped him end over end in the air. The thing still shot up about 20 yards or so in the air after that too.

Didn't slow him down a bit, he was right back up and trying to snap at the next one too LOL

When I used to do fireworks I would link them together with cannon fuse with enough delay to get to a safe distance. All it takes as an extra minute Ans a couple twist ties. If your doing cake you can use a model rocket igniter to remote lite it. Just like a failure to fire in a gun you gotta give it plenty of time to make sure.

Darwin almost got another one.

Depending on how much of his baby-maker was destroyed, he might be eligible. Of course if he already has kids, the genes are already loose in the pool.

There was another story on the news tonight around here about a guy who blew off one of his legs with an illegal firework when he dropped it between his legs and the seat of his wheelchair.

Darwin almost got another one.

There was another story on the news tonight around here about a guy who blew off one of his legs with an illegal firework when he dropped it between his legs and the seat of his wheelchair.

I wanna know where I can get some fireworks that'll take a leg off!!027.gif Sounds like he had the good shit!!

I'll never understand people celebrating the Independence of a Free nation by buying and using known inferior products from a Communist country who uses child slave labor to produce those products.

I just use my Made (by me) in USA cannon firing steel wool, sawdust, Cremora, etc. Loud as hell, cheap, and made right, made here.

...then they should be able to make something with a decent success rate. The last time I bought chinese fireworks, almost half of them didn't work.

The last time was over a decade ago.

I'll never understand people celebrating the Independence of a Free nation by buying and using known inferior products from a Communist country who uses child slave labor to produce those products.

I just use my Made (by me) in USA cannon firing steel wool, sawdust, Cremora, etc. Loud as hell, cheap, and made right, made here.

That would probably be because like most everything else, that's where all the fireworks are made. I've even got another thread going asking why the American companies of Hi-Point/Kel-Tec either can't or choose not to keep up with demand for firearms. Demand that's been there for quite some time, like years. I'll probably end up with another foreign made firearm because of it. Their choice of course, but it will inevitably lead to buyers going elsewhere.

As to your cannon, it sounds interesting but I'd wager it would be impractical for most. I have a half acre back yard but it's still in town and I'm unsure of how the Sheriff's department would view me lighting that thing off. Still, post some details for us and you may get some takers on it. Maybe even me.