Saiga 12 Cheapest Conversion Possible

So, as instructed for all new members, I have read a lot of the "required" material and have not found the answer to my questions.

Background:

I just bought two Saiga 12s (not yet delivered to my FFL) and plan on converting both of them. For mags, I bought four SMGT 10-rounders. I've purchased two Tapco G2 trigger assembly kits. and plan on reusing the original trigger guards from both rifles.

I've looked at a lot of the conversion kits and they seem to have some items that i do not want/need. Most conversion kits seem to be a bit pricy and have upgrades (buttstocks, trigger guards and grips) that I dislike. I am undecided on grip, forend and buttstock (have a few options in mind) thus far, but want to purchase them separately.

I will be doing a Tapco "screw build" on both, but have not found a site selling the screw-build kits. A link would be greatly appreciated.

Summary - here is a list of the parts that I have purchased or will be purchasing separately:

Buttstock (1 US Part)

Grip (1 US Part)

Trigger Group (3 US Parts)

Forend (possibly 1 US Part)

Mags (3 US Parts)

Tapco Screw-Build Kit (need link)

Factory Trigger Guard

So, what else will I have to purchase to be able to finish off my conversions? Is there a conversion kit out there that suits my specific needs? Please provide links or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Edited by The Adam

Welcome to the addiction! Playing with Saigas is like crack. I had a similar issue when converting mine so I just bought what I liked seperately. Alot from Carolina Shooters Supply and alot from here. I couldn't find a kit that satisfied it all. There is a difference between price shopping and shopping for the cheapest thing. Remember that in your search for Saiga bliss. Buy quality now and save yourself alot of trouble later and alot of fitting later.

45, that is precisely what I plan on doing. I guess "Cheapest Conversion Possible" isn't the best title. Perhaps, I should have put "Cheapest Conversion Possible (for what I want)" as the title. I am not looking for crap, but rather, the best price on the rest of the parts that I need to finish the conversion. I am probably going to go with aluminum quad-rail forends, Hogue Grips and probably ACE stocks. Both S12s will be quality builds when I am done.

So, any advice for finishing off my builds?

Another thing - all of the S12 conversion videos that i have watched are utilizing a LRBHO mechanism. Is this part being re-used from the stock Saiga 12 from Izhmash or is it only acquired as part of some conversion kits?

Edited by The Adam
  • Like 1

Ammo. And patience, oh thats free. Factory trigger guard gad=bad idea. Your not gonna find everything you want all in one store, but welcome to the forum.

And you wanna go cheap, are you going to want to shoot cheap ammo? If so your gonna be doing more than whats on your list.

Edited by TORKIT

Factory trigger guard gad=bad idea.

Why is that? It can be cut, drilled and re-used. It may not looks as good as some aftermarket guards, but it will work just fine. I plan on cutting out my own spot for the grip screw/nut and won't be needing one of the kits with the grip screw incorporated into the trigger guard, so I don't really see an issue arising.

• Like 4

I bought a screw on trigger guard for like $29. It's the shape I wanted and it's not expensive. I agree about the stock one but hey it's what the owner digs that matters. Thats what makes these things custom tailored to us. As for advice address any cycling issues in the stock configuration before you start throwing money at light recoil springs, pucks and plugs. Get it to run then start playing with these things. They may run great out the box or maybe not. I got kudos form unclejake on this forum for my vodka special story on a TAC47 thread. Apparently I got the vodka special award LOL! It was bad. Once it is running like a sewing machine stock go crazy with the bolt on screw on stuff. Oh and at that point get the TAC 47 auto plug. It was the single best thing I screwed on my gun. Listen to the experienced people on this forum. And read older post. Use the search ALOT! I had to do gas system work on mine. Don't be affraid to DIY it but ASK BEFORE YOU DRILL! It will keep you from making very expensive mistakes. Don't believe stuff on youtube without consulting here first. It's usually the best example of how not to do things not always but alot of the time. Be respectful on this forum and you'll get it back. I don't post anywhere else anymore because of all the pricks on other forums and I really don't want this one to get like the others and I think most of the members here feel the same. Above all have fun. When it stops being fun you need to quit.

Greetings Adam and welcome,

I have had mine for about 1.5 years, shot 4-5 hundred rounds so far. All I have done to it was add a tapco T6 stock, Poly choke to the 19" threaded barrel, top rail that locks on the factory side mounts with a Browning red dot sight, the 5 position adjustable gas plug and one of the after market pucks. It shoots everything fine and the trigger action seems okay so I have seen no real need to change it. I might at some point change my mind about that but not until I see a real need. I have fired converted weapons and don't see enough differance to make it worth the time and expence (just my 15 cents worth (it used to be 2c.gif but with inflation and all booo.gif )). I hope all goes well with your conversions. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Edited by Palidin

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

Carolinas Shooter Supply has everything you could want and at great prices, plus the service cant be beat!!!

If you want to keep the LRBHO you can reuse your own but you'll have to notch it yourself, its very simple. Or you can just leave it out.

I wouldnt consider a reused factory TG a "quality" build but thats just me. Considering your gonna drop plenty of change on ace stocks and quad rails you should really get a decent TG.

Are you making a retaining spring from the factory one? otherwise you should get a retaining plate, or a shephard's crook if you hate yourself.

Get a g2 double hook and do the mods for over travel and pre travel. (there are threads, so search if interested.) Cheap for a very nice trigger.

MD or tapco Puck counts as one part for $10 /$8 @ MAA that you can swap, saving money on the fore-end. That would give you a legal parts count with any mag for a few bucks cheaper and I like the factory fore-end.

If making your own stock, go to a gunsmith's shop. Typically they will have a bin of take-off sissy pads for ~$2 that you can integrate into your build for greater comfort. I often see new nice ones such as Pachmeyer, Limbsaver, and even sometimes KickEez. Just don't grab some dried up old hunk of hard rubber.

I did this one very cheaply for a Nice build, with a shopping list at the top. I have less than $400 into the whole gun. Probably close to $350

http://forum.saiga-1...build-2-iz-108/

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

Cheap/simple:

Reuse factory trigger guard.

Tapco stock and grip.

G2 trigger

Leave out the BHO

Reuse the wire axis pin retainer

The other mods you may want to do just include tools and work.

Drilling out gas ports

Polishing parts

BHO relief on hammer

Notch mod on BHO.

My suggestion would be to buy your parts from CSS and do a good quality conversion. If you can afford to buy 2 S-12's, you can probably afford nice conversion parts as well. Such as: Kit with hogue grip and CSS trigger guard. Modified BHO. Retaining plate. Etc.

You don't need a "screw build kit". All of these parts come with installation hardware.