Converting magazines to hold the bolt open on the last round

I'm fairly new to AK's. I purchased my first one earlier this year. One feature I was missing was the bolt staying open after the last round. I recently learned that the Yugo magazines have a different follower that holds the bolt open after the last round. I ordered a couple Yugo 30 round mags and they work great. I have a few Hungarian 20 round Tanker magazines I wanted to modify to hold the bolt open so I started looking for a way to modify them. I found an old thread on another site that talked about replacing the magazine followers. That thread gave a source for the followers and I purchased several from Falcon Arms: http://falconarms.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=224

The follower stop bumps inside the top of the magazine will need to be ground off with a dremel tool so the follower goes all the way up to the feed lips. The modification was very easy and it works great. The bolt goes forward when the empty magazine is removed. My next mod will be replacing the safety lever for one with a notch to hold the bolt open.

The Tapco magazines can also be modified by grinding and removing the plastic bumps inside the magazine. The Tapco follower is plastic so I wonder if the follower will wear down from the bolt hitting it with continual use.

AK-mag1.jpg

AK-mag2.jpg

AK-mag3.jpg

AK-mag4.jpg

AK-mag5.jpg

AK-mag6.jpg

AK-mag7.jpg

AK-mag8.jpg

• Like 2

Once I change out my safety lever I'll be able to move the safety lever up to hold the bolt open before the mag is removed. Once a new mag is inserted flipping the safety off will allow the bolt to go forward to chamber the first round.

Nice work. What keeps the follower from getting beat to crap? I agree with GOB. The safety lever idea seems like just another unnecessary step to getting the gun back into operation.

The Yugo BHO mags have been around for years. The Yugo mags I purchased were used, surplus mags. The followers did not look beat up at all.

Having the bolt hold open is a convenience feature. It lets me know the magazine is empty. I'm not in the military, law enforcement or militia. I use my AK for target practice and hog hunting. If I need to do a mag change in a heated hog exchange I'll skip the safety lever step and change the magazine. Having a safety lever that holds the bolt open will also be a safety feature so I can have the bolt open when the rifle isn't being used at the range.

• 4 weeks later...

The original follower will work, no need to chsange it out.

I finally got a chance to grind off some follower stops in some mags to see if the original follower will hold the bolt open and they do. Thanks for that info.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

this is cool idea. i might just modify one of my steel pos american tactical 40rnd mags with the stick welder.

finely grind off the follower stop with the dremol, and put a little build up of weld on the follower. i have to go in and weld repair the follower on that mag to get it to work with all 40rnds anyways.

bs cause i bought it new like that for 35$ steer clear of "american tactical" mags.

plus it has a gray finish and looks ugly compared to blue'd black steel surplus mags. im glad i found this thread.

Interresting, I may have to try this. It would be nice to know you're out rather than aiming, click, and missing the shot. And in a firfight, it's better to know your out and keep your head down than to try to shoot with no ammo.

Thanks for the info.