Hate to bring this up but we need to start thinking ahead here, just in case something gets through to restrict ammo.

Many of the laws covering ammo do not apply to reloading components. This could continue to be the case even if some insanity is enacted.

I have ceased stockpiling the more exotic stuff for regular old 308 150gr FMJ and some 110gr FMJ. What do you guys think.

Took me a bit to get this in my head as well.

I could not justify the start up price, a bit better mind set now.

I have been stocking up on reload supplies, ya just never know.

You're just catching on?

Previously I reloaded more as art and hobby than prep though I understood and supported its use as such, now my commitment has shifted from MOA to ROI .

Of course ammo has remained very easy to get until recently when this latest panic buy began, I refuse to participate having neither the inclination nor need. The motive is now to replace whatever is shot without depending on availability of commercial or mil-surp ammo.

Took me a bit to get this in my head as well.

I could not justify the start up price, a bit better mind set now.

I have been stocking up on reload supplies, ya just never know.

Currently the goal is to be able to reload 10k rounds in batches as large as 1k mostly with simple but quality FMJ.

This is going to take a while.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Reloading *NEVER* saves me money... Atleast you wouldnt think so if you looked at my wallet... Maybe if I loaded up everything I have components for it would... :lol::up:

Seems like EVERY TIME I go to the reloading supply store I drop between 4 and 8 hundred bucks... Sure I come home with All kinds of things... whether its 40 pounds of powder, 3 to 5 hundred bullets, thousands and thousands of primers, hundreds of pounds of lead shot, and who knows what else... I usually have quite the haul... :up:

:smoke:

Been 10 years since I crunched the numbers but at that time factory loaded 375 H&H was $1 per cartridge and I could reload it for about 40 cents. The first 400 cartridges paid for my reloading set up. I was shooting a lot in prep for my frist African hunt. So every cartridge loaded after the first 2 months represents savings. Saving money that I would otherwise spend is the same as making profit. I can not even fathom how many cartrdiges of various chamberings I have loaded in the past decade. 400 shotgun shells a week to shoot trap times several months per year....plus rifle, plus pistol. I probably have saved $100,000 by reloading to date.

I KNOW it saves me money when I consider comparable store bought ammo.

I would pay anywhere from 20-50 bucks for a box of 20... ( and upwards of 4 -5 bucks EACH for 50 BMG!!! Which I can reload for about 68 CENTS! ) Those same rounds, I can reload for half that... And can tailor them to be FAR more accurate than factory ammo ever dreamed of being!!

So yeah, its cheaper... but it just doesnt SEEM like it when you are shelling out 400, 600, 800 bucks at a whack for components... :lol:

:smoke:

start shooting a butt load of new .410 3" shells and see how much you spend on them, then reload same said shells. What's a box of 3" shells? $15.00 or so, I think that the last time my wife bitched about me buying lead, primers, and powder, I had to show her that my reloads cost me about $3.50 to $4.00 a box, she was happy then, until she saw the credit card statement. :) Basically, if I have a gun that I shoot, I reload for it, other than the 22lr.

It is just my opinion, but I don't think you should use reloads in your Concealed Carry Weapon because the Prosecution would have a field day with that. When i used to shoot competition, I had thousands of rounds for practice that were reloads, and we had to reload "hot loads" which were stronger and had more kick than factory, so I had a box of factory to use for Concealed Carry. i know a lot of people are going to disagree with my opinion, but, it is what it is. Having said that, have thousands of rounds for when the SHTF is the best way to go, so I'm all for reloading and reloading "hot" for that matter, but I won't keep it in my carry weapon in the current atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is just my opinion, but I don't think you should use reloads in your Concealed Carry Weapon because the Prosecution would have a field day with that. When i used to shoot competition, I had thousands of rounds for practice that were reloads, and we had to reload "hot loads" which were stronger and had more kick than factory, so I had a box of factory to use for Concealed Carry. i know a lot of people are going to disagree with my opinion, but, it is what it is. Having said that, have thousands of rounds for when the SHTF is the best way to go, so I'm all for reloading and reloading "hot" for that matter, but I won't keep it in my carry weapon in the current atmosphere.

Okie is correct about what ammo to use for CC. I reclaim my lead from my shooting range and cast my own bullets. But this is used just for practice. I'd never use them (or any reload) for SD. A prosecutor could jump all over that reloaded ammo and the excessive damage it caused. For CC my Ruger SR40C is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense (NOT CRITICAL DUTY) ammo. Buy one box. Fire a few to function test them. Hope and pray that you never have to use any of the rest.

I've got 1000 44 Mags, 2000 40S&W, and 1000 38 Specials loaded up. When I have 500 fired cases in any of these calibers, I reload them as a batch on my Dillon 550B. I always have ammo to shoot. And I shoot a lot on my home range.

Don <><