Going to purchase. 24" or 19" barrel?

One week from now I will have my Minnesota permit to purchase. My first order of business is going to be getting a Saiga 12.

I shoot loads of trap and skeet. Most of the time I spend using a shotgun is shooting flying targets. Which model is better for this? The 19" Threaded or the 24"?

This will not be a competition gun, but more for non-serious trap shooting. I will be getting the stripped "sporting" version and adding parts as I please. I have decided on everything except for the barrel length.

Well if your into Trap and Skeet then I'd say get the longer barrel. I use a 19" for 3 gun but I have a 24" for hunting and it's excellent at what it does. Plus the extra weight and length really make the gun swing and track better. I've taken duck deer and squirrels with it.

• Like 1

You could get a 19" and machine a half pound steel weight to thread onto the end of the barrel for "better swing". Thread the barrel internally for chokes. That would allow for hybrid use. The weight would also reduce felt recoil while maintaining a tighter profile. I actually may try this myself...

You could get a 19" and machine a half pound steel weight to thread onto the end of the barrel for "better swing". Thread the barrel internally for chokes. That would allow for hybrid use. The weight would also reduce felt recoil while maintaining a tighter profile. I actually may try this myself...

You got me thinking. So I did some research and found out that this exists: http://www.izhmash-arms.ru/eim/imp/166.html

How do I go about buying from Izhmash over in Russia? It seems like quite a few people have barrel extensions here, but I have no clue how to buy from this website. And what will this do about 922r compliance?

I can hit more consistently with my 18 and 19" S12s than I could with my 24" models. The short ones swing faster and all of that barrel hanging out there throws me off. I never look at the sights, keep my eye on the bird, and fire purely on feel. I didn't like my 24s.

This is something I have also been wondering, either way it would be threaded internally for Win/rem chokes.

I could be mistaken, but I think more chokes will fit the WIN-choke threading. The ream and tap for that cost about $300. I've been wanting to do it too, but there are many other things on my 'short list'. I may do a tutorial on it when I finally do it.

Now that you have decided I will tell you the exact opposite. I tried shooting trap with the 19 inch and went from breaking 20 out of 25 with my side by side to hitting just 10 out of 25! Tried several different loads and really never was able to hit more than 15 or so out of 25. I just couldn't justify teh S12 for more than home defense but I wasn't willing to give up just yet. So I bought the 24 inch model and am now hitting back in the 19 and 20 out of 25 bird range. Going back to try 2 more loads with the 24 inch tonight.