GunsAmerica review of RAAC Akdal MKA-1919 Mag fed shotgun

I'm a AR guy that loves and appreciates the AK. That being said I HATE THAT GUN! Shot one at the range a month ago and was not impressed. I wanted to be impressed enough to have a reason to add one but I'm not. It's less attractive in person than in pictures meaning all that plastic looks and feels cheap. Even the guy who owned it admitted without me saying shit that he was scared to drop it for fear of it breaking. I did have to do alot of work to my S12 to get it to run so I'm not going to do a comparison between a bone stock Adkal and my tip to tail modified S12 as it wouldn't be fair. I will say that out of the box it didn't do any better with quality or crap ammo than my out of box S12 did. Which may be an indication that it can be modified to be just as reliable and I know alot of quality names are playing with it and I'm sure if they put thier names on it then it will run fine but can the average Joe with a average garage shop do it? I've built parts kit AK's and that knowledge did me no good at all when I tore into my Saiga 12. Maybe when I get the chance to shoot a built MKA I'll have a have to have moment, after all thats what it took for me to fall head over heels for the Saiga12. I guess we'll see.

Edited by 45Bretired

Maybe it will be more appealing once someone perfects the full-on conversion; complete aluminum lower that accepts un-modified stocks/grips and some higher capacity mags that are not a factory mag with a plasic boot bolted on.

IMHO, nobody will develop this platform unless someone buys them and nobody will buy them unless someone develops this platform! Guess we're stuck for now.

• Like 1

Maybe it will be more appealing once someone perfects the full-on conversion; complete aluminum lower that accepts un-modified stocks/grips and some higher capacity mags that are not a factory mag with a plasic boot bolted on.

IMHO, nobody will develop this platform unless someone buys them and nobody will buy them unless someone develops this platform! Guess we're stuck for now.

+1 The furniture thing drives me nuts. Seems like they could have made it accept AR furniture from the beginning.

• Like 1

They mention 'not reliable out of the box'

http://www.gunsameri...-mka-1919-raac/

"...With the tactical and 3 Gun shotgun market filled with tradition semi-autos and the thought to be fickle Saiga, a new, light (6.5 lbs.) and quick shooting tactical shotgun was big news, especially with AR-15 controls..."

Shot mine last week for the first time. Not too many rounds but not issues even with cheap stuff. I did work with 28g and even with 24g.

I do own a Saiga that, after working on it, does not know malfunctions as long as I dont go too short with the rounds. However, as we are not allowed to convert the Saiga the Akdal is the far superior platform. If we would be allowed to have converted ones i would say pretty much same out of the box. It is, at least here in Austria, however the much cheaper option with less need to work on it. With 10 round OEM mags available in fall the last real disadvantage of the Akdal is gone.

Fritz, you need to come shoot some badass converted toys over here in Florida. My gun club has a don't care as long as your very safe attitude. I got plenty of toys that I know you can't have there.

Edited by 45Bretired

They mention 'not reliable out of the box'

http://www.gunsameri...-mka-1919-raac/

"...With the tactical and 3 Gun shotgun market filled with tradition semi-autos and the thought to be fickle Saiga, a new, light (6.5 lbs.) and quick shooting tactical shotgun was big news, especially with AR-15 controls..."

Im reading this article and cannot determine whether this fuckin guy LIKES the gun or does NOT like the gun. Very poorly written with a little Saiga bashing to boot. News for that douchebag....most of us are plinkers, not entering 3 gun tourneys. I'll stick with my Saiga.

I thought working on guns was part of the fun. Okay maybe I could have done without the Vodka special award but I feel like I know the gun better because of it. Well I did buy it with the intention of converting it so I really didn't care how it ran in import trim.

Fritz, you need to come shoot some badass converted toys over here in Florida. My gun club has a don't care as long as your very safe attitude. I got plenty of toys that I know you can't have there.

i might take u up on that haha.gif however there are ways to shoot anything up to 50bmg full auto around here too but its not easy as not many have the needed permits and then you need to know one of those