Need A MOLLEologist

I'm having the idea to piggyback an 8 round mag pouch on top of a 10 round mag pouch. Seem like a good idea to keep them all in the same area and preserve MOLLE real estate. The smaller mag pouch has two straps with snaps on the back so it may just involve putting some loops on the bottom (larger) pouch.

But, I'd like it done right. I could probably make it work but I'd probably stab myself a few hundred times with the needle and it might look funky. So I'd be willing to send this stuff of to someone.

Any suggestions with regard to getting this done?

post-41803-0-74473800-1345324963_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-97418100-1345324978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Squishy

If I were going to do this I would sew the smaller pouch directly to the larger one around the outer edge for two reasons. (1)... I think there would be too much slop with the weight of two mag pouches somewhat loosely connected with molle and...(2)... Even though I have the heavy duty machine to sew heavy material, it's hard to sew molle loops on the just the outside layer of a small pouch that is already constructed using a machine. That would probably have to be done by hand unless someone partially dissembled the larger pouch and then re-sewed it after putting the molle loops on.

• Like 1

Both points 1 & 2 well taken, adding loops would not be a good way to go given the difficulty of doing it and even then it wouldn't be tight.

Where the seams are on the edges it's really thick, IMO it would be difficult to run a row of stitches down the outer edges. So I'm thinking if using heavy thread of some kind (I have used dental floss before) each corner is secured (where the white dots are), I mean multiple passes, and, a strap is threaded through where the arrow is shown for good measure it would hold.

With the cover straps/velcro over the top I think it would work.

post-41803-0-30652000-1345357768_thumb.jpg

Edited by Squishy

Both points 1 & 2 well taken, adding loops would not be a good way to go given the difficulty of doing it and even then it wouldn't be tight.

Where the seams are on the edges it's really thick, IMO it would be difficult to run a row of stitches down the outer edges. So I'm thinking if using heavy thread of some kind (I have used dental floss before) each corner is secured (where the white dots are), I mean multiple passes, and, a strap is threaded through where the arrow is shown for good measure it would hold.

With the cover straps/velcro over the top I think it would work.

post-41803-0-30652000-1345357768_thumb.jpg

That sounds like a good plan. Simple, cheap, and secure. Easy to reverse too, if you ever wanted to.

That sounds like a good plan. Simple, cheap, and secure. Easy to reverse too, if you ever wanted to.

Cool, I take this as a good sign that you'd agree. I can see that it might seem like "tacking" it on the corners might seem iffy but I'm talking about a bunch of passes with something much heavier than standard sewing thread. Like I said I've used dental floss but I could go with fishing line whatever. I have some heavy "craft" needles and needle nose pliers.

I'll post up here when it's done.

Is there any kind of glue you could use around the edges? That would be easier than sewing.

Nothing that I'd trust to hold. Thing is, if I could attach velcro to the back of the small pouch there are 3 - three inch strips of velcro on the front of the big pouch where the cover straps would normally go. Hard part would be sewing the velcro to the back of the small pouch. I still might try it, every bit of support helps.

Gene at High Speed Gear Inc. might do it. He used to do a lot of custom work besides knocking out his excellent products. Tactical Tailor used to do one off work as well. I used to have Parachute Riggers stitch shit up as they are trained to do so and have the equipment to punch through heavy material.

post-41803-0-74473800-1345324963_thumb.jpg

Why are your mags indexed in opposite directions?

• Like 1

I did a lot of trading with PRs when I was in, getting custom size bags etc. made

I just stuck the mags in for the photo, in fact the mag to the right in the top pouch is a 6 rounder, the other two are 8s. Just trying to show what I was talking about doing. I have to get a vest eventually, or at least one that fits right. I have a complete Interceptor setup with rifle plates but I think I'm going to sell it. It's a large and I have to let it all the way out to fit me, I need an XL. Oh and thanks for the info, I'll get in touch with those you mentioned.

HSGI has a quad row mag pouch. if all else fails you could just go that route, or just do this yourself.

I think I'll try and make it work myself. A quad will only hold 4 mags, this deal I'm trying to work will hold 6, 3 - 10s and 3 - 8s all in the square inch space of 1 - 3 mag pouch.

Edited by Squishy

I have some craft needles and I've been obtaining threads for my "emergency" box. I have Kevlar, Bonded Nylon and there's still dental floss which I'm telling you is good stuff for this purpose. Once I have a hole made, then going back and forth through it isn't a problem. Running a bead for distance would be a lot of work but like I said, I think it will work if I just secure the 4 corners really well and run a strap through where there's a spot on the front of the bottom pouch and the back of the top pouch. Securing these mags to a vest or belt will be a small chore compared to AK and S-12 mags. I've got pouches for both but there's only so much you can carry on your person.

If you guys know of any resources to help with planning and laying out a vest I'd be interested in hearing about it. I never had to do it in the military although I did wear greens sometimes it never involved anything tactical.

If you guys know of any resources to help with planning and laying out a vest I'd be interested in hearing about it. I never had to do it in the military although I did wear greens sometimes it never involved anything tactical.

I really don't know of any resources to plan or lay out a vest. It is usually accomplished by trying something to see if it works for you. You want to orientate your mags on your support side for effective reloading. The mags carried on your firing hand side should be shifted over to the empty slots on the support side whenever possible. Index your mags...(bullet towards your firing hand side). My current rig is a Paraclete plate carrier with 2 Tactical Tailor 3x rifle mag shingles stacked on my firing hand side and one Tactical Tailor 3x rifle mag shingle with 2 SO Tech x2 pistol mag pouches stacked on it on the support side. Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm sure just trying different things and seeing what works best and is most comfortable is the best way to go. I've got an Interceptor setup I think I'm going to be selling soon. I need the next biggest size.

• 3 weeks later...

There are Molle adapters. Both fitting Molle to molle (diff directions), and belt loop to molle. Adapters are out there, if that's your need. Or... you can take the "poor man's" route (as Ive done numerous times), and use zipties. They work. Use them where you need them, then cut them off when you don't. Molle adapters are the right way to do it... but I find it a "rachet" (money), when zip ties do the same thing. YMMV.

I have a modular vest and gave up on it. I realized the a pouch (6 mag AK pouch) works wonderfully for me. I think the problem with vests is there is NO time you can use it. The problem is... if you don the vest... (and not for LE work), you have made yourself a target. There is no "discreet" with a vest. Personally.. if SHTF and I HAVE to venture out ... I'll be looking like the next shmoe, but concealing much more weaponry under those "plain clothes".

Vests are the best option for access, but far from ideal for SHTF.For operators, I'd say there is no other option (as speed is life), but for normal folk... vests are a "target" on you that you do not want.

Edited by Brian M1
  • Like 2

Point well taken about overt and covert. Actually when I talk about a vest (this may sound stupid) I'm talking about a place that MOLLE pouches, gear etc. can be attached and then grabbed for carry, need not be worn. The wear option is there of course but it seems to be a good way to have all this stuff in one place and accessible.

With the Interceptor setup there's no way I'd wear it if I were on the move. With rifle plates it would wear me out if I tried to travel far. Held up somewhere it would be different. So a padded belt or vest covered with all the mag pouches etc could be grabbed just like a bag but the pouches would be easier to get to than rooting around in a bag.

Edited by Squishy

When you go to sew it use braided fishing line. It is much, much stronger than any thread meant for sewing. It is also water and UV resistant. You should be able to find some 6 or 8 pound braided line that is as thin as regular sewing thread. That is what I use to sew anything that needs to stay put. I will also put superglue at key points to reinforce the stitching even more.

I have never tried it in a sewing machine. I always hand stitch.

Dolomite

• Like 1

When you go to sew it use braided fishing line. It is much, much stronger than any thread meant for sewing. It is also water and UV resistant. You should be able to find some 6 or 8 pound braided line that is as thin as regular sewing thread. That is what I use to sew anything that needs to stay put. I will also put superglue at key points to reinforce the stitching even more. I have never tried it in a sewing machine. I always hand stitch.

Dolomite

This is very good advice if sew is the way I go. Another option I looked at is the screw rivets that are used in leathercraft. The kind of stuff Tandy sells. In the end this is not a huge deal, it's surprising how well the Velcro flaps from the bottom pouch holds the smaller pouch in place. It wouldn't take much to tie down the bottom and I think securing the four points shown above would be more than enough.

Now that the new indoor range is open 5 miles away I've gone to shoot 45ACP a few times and this piggyback setup is convenient.

Hmmm... if you want something for "grab n' go", not necessarily a vest, how about a tool pouch or bag with lots of pockets in it?

The thing about throwing everything in a bag is it can be a PITA to get at things piled on top of each other. And since most of the things I'm talking about are already MOLLE capable it seems configuring things in this way would be best.

Here is one item that is along the lines of what I'm talking about. It could be picked up and thrown behind the truck seat or worn;

post-41803-0-71439300-1347985773_thumb.gif