Timbersmith Furniture - Do you have it and how do you like it?

I have a set of the Russian Red (not laminated) Timbersmith furniture on a rifle. Basically I like it, but it took some fitting to get the buttstock to fit tightly. Mine did not come with any shims. It also has the rubber recoil pad which is functional, but is kind of crappy looking, in my opinion. Not to mention that it is relatively expensive. I bought mine off of a market on another site for $100 shipped, which is cheaper than the $130 or so I see from vendors, but I still wonder if it is worth it. A plus is the added US parts. I do like the wood PG.

If you have it, did you also have to fit it to your rifle? If you don't have it, are you considering it?

Here is mine:

DSCF1091.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

I forgot to mention that it also came with the gas tube, which was a big plus.

• Like 1

I've got one on a 5.45 and I love it. It took hours of fitting but I think it was worth it. I won't be doing another one because it was truly a PITA. I bought a replacement gas tube, lower HG retainer, and retaining springs from CSS and the HG's fit fine, but the grip was not compatible with the CSS billet TG that I used and the stock was a nightmare to seat. I ended up making a urethane shim in order to maintain enough pressure on the mounting screws (reused the OEM screws) to keep the stock from vibrating back out.

All in all, it's a nice set but maybe more hassle than some people want. Love the Russian Red though. Looks great!

I don't have it, but the profile of the Timbersmith stocks looks weird IMO. It's not really cut, swelled, or contoured like any other AK wood furniture out there. I liked it when I first got into AKs, but I never bought a set. Cost was the turn-off.

Edited by mancat

I bought 2 sets of the 25.00 Bulgarian surplus that Smeeg is talking about and I think it was a better deal than tapco timber.You can make the bulgy anyway you want it for quarter the price of tapco.Apex is where to get bulgy surplus if anyone didn't know.

the handguard requires quite a bit of material removal to fit the 12 ga... I would not even attempt it on a S12 with the non laminate...