Hogue vs MFT vs Kvar

Im going to replace my aluminum hg with a polymer one, to save weight mostly.

Do you guys have any good first hand advise on any of these hg's. I know kvar is a standard, but what do you guys think of the others. Since they are in the same price range, I was wondering how they stack up. Are they even close to the kvar?

I got the Hogue set up from CSS, you can have rails top, left, right and bottom or any combination. You can have no rails at all if you want. I have a rail on the left and bottom. The bottom of the FG is a rubbery material so it grips well. I like this setup.

post-41803-0-86066800-1347573575_thumb.jpg

http://store.carolin...-fdsh-74/Detail

In rereading the OP, are you talking about a pistol grip or foregrip? If it's pistol grip disregard my post, duh. If it's pistol grip I have the ATI on both my Saiga-12 and MAK90;

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-413/AK47-Saiga-ATI-finger/Detail

The "Scorpion" is the same grip but with some soft parts.

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 1

Squishy , I do like that hogue fore grip setup. What other parts do I need to buy from Carolina so that the upper and lower will fit my 7.62. My barrel is grooved if it matters. Maybe if you can link the parts on your response it would be nice.

Thanks.

I cannot with certainty advise about this as my AK is a MAK and as we all know there are sometimes relevant differences between variants. The product listing I posted does mention the Saiga 7.62 x 39 but I'd ask CSS about this. On my MAK it fit fine after I got the rotation of the upper part of the FG right, it did take some doing. You need to have the upper and lower tension springs but again, the MAK had them and I've never even seen a Saiga 7.62 in person so I can't say about this. Greg at CSS should be able to tell you.

Oh, and another thing, see how the vent holes are blocked by the internal aluminum piece in the photo above? I think the latest version of this setup from Hogue has openings there which is a good thing. Just in case you noticed that....

Edited by Squishy

I have the hogue and I LOVE it. you will need an AK type gas tube (not regular stock Saiga one) if u want the upper. As for the lower you will need a hand guard retainer. The Hogue grip has a metal insulation but after 100 rds it does no good (slidefire stock and 75 and 700 rd drums) but i suppose it is the same as any other it is definitely cooler (temp. wise) than any quadrail i have tried. It's fit is ergonomically great with no rails.

I have the hogue and I LOVE it. you will need an AK type gas tube (not regular stock Saiga one) if u want the upper. As for the lower you will need a hand guard retainer. The Hogue grip has a metal insulation but after 100 rds it does no good (slidefire stock and 75 and 700 rd drums) but i suppose it is the same as any other it is definitely cooler (temp. wise) than any quadrail i have tried. It's fit is ergonomically great with no rails.

Holy shit, 700rd drums, I need to get one of those!!! (im being a dick)

Glad to hear that, as that was the one I was looking more seriously at. I have the ak tube and just need the lower retainer, which one do you use or recommend? I hate to spend the cost of a handguard on a retainer, but I will since I may have to.

Also, I will need the upper and lower hg springs right (or one and not the other?)? I steered away from doing this in my initial conversion and went with an aluminum guard that was saiga specific. Now I want something new, lighter and hopefully close to as durable.

Edited by Boomsick42

I got one of the MFT and really like it. I like how the top and bottom are joined by four bolts, so it is very stable. Aesthetically, I think they look good and they aren't bulky in the hand. They actually feel like standard K-var grips. No heat shiled, but K-Var has them for like $4.

Untitled.jpg

So, for durability, do you guys feel that the hogue and MFT is comprable to the Kvar? I would assume they are better than the tapcos, I would hope so anyways.

I don't have enough experience with the different options to comment

I'm in a similar boat. My M10 has the quadrail which is heavy, uncomfortable, hot, and I don't need rails (I don't mount grips/lights/lasers/etc). Just plain jane for me. I've handled the Hogue and love how they feel with their textured rubber. The only issues I've heard with them is that (as mentioned) the vents are blocked by the aluminum, the aluminum heats up way faster than K-var's stainless steel inner, and that they seem to fit loose on SOME models. I've heard nothing negative about the K-vars, but notice they do not have any vent slots at all? No experience whatsoever with the MFT (although I have the MFT "engage" grip on my S223 and love it, except it jams the web of the hand into the receiver just a tad too much, being such a high ride grip).