I'm not saying that birdshot is superior, especially in a wide open setting where unintended targets are at a minimum. Let me make it clear that I am stating that birdshot can be lethal and is probably a better option than buck or slugs if there are loved ones in the next room or neighbors close by (neighbors that you actually like, lol). No "birdshot boner" here, but it fits my HD situation better than buck or slugs. There are rooms that share walls with both front and rear entrances to the home and a room at each corner of the home. I can only shoot toward the front wall or rear walls without worrying about an unintended target . Those areas are the least likely areas for there to be a confrontation should someone decide to come in and have a field day with my belongings or loved ones. I would more likely run into them on their way in or out of the entrances, or in one of the bedrooms.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that birdshot is superior, especially in a wide open setting where unintended targets are at a minimum. Let me make it clear that I am stating that birdshot can be lethal and is probably a better option than buck or slugs if there are loved ones in the next room or neighbors close by (neighbors that you actually like, lol). No "birdshot boner" here, but it fits my HD situation better than buck or slugs. There are rooms that share walls with both front and rear entrances to the home and a room at each corner of the home. I can only shoot toward the front wall or rear walls without worrying about an unintended target . Those areas are the least likely areas for there to be a confrontation should someone decide to come in and have a field day with my belongings or loved ones. I would more likely run into them on their way in or out of the entrances, or in one of the bedrooms.

That's why I use a carbine where I know where each projectile is going to impact on the target. If you have to evalutate and calculate penetration of numerous and basically uncontrolled projectiles in your household, maybe you should think of some other plan if that is a concern. There is no distance in my house that I cannot achieve a hit to some thug's brain bucket with a carbine so there is really no reason for me to pull out a shotty. I could do it with a pistol at the same ranges but the rifle has more ass behind it and round capacity in case of return fire which the armed home intruders around here are likely to provide so a pistol is still a means to fight back to a long gun instead of being a primary. To me, the scattergun would be a last ditch or suppressive fire weapon. Yes, projectiles from a rifle are still prone to being redirected once hitting a target but the chances of collateral damage are way less than throwing a bunch of buck and ball down the hallway IMO.