JT Comp VS. Tromix Monster

CSS advertises both of these as the best brake for recoil reduction.

I'm sure they both perform what their designed for, but does anybody have any first hand experience in dealing with both or any of the two, as to which is better?

If they both perform equally, then I'd rather get the cheaper one, as I'm looking specifically for recoil reduction.

I have the competition brake, and I love it. Imagine this...the other day I stuck 3 inch magnum rifled slugs into the factory 5 round magazine and let em fly as fast as I could just to see what would happen. When I shot those with my saiga completely stock it kicked like a mule, and I wouldn't dare to try rapid firing them. Here's a chart to help you get an idea. For the record I'm not a scientist, or anything. This is my opinion nothing more...take it or leave it. ; )

Ranking from 1-5 With 1.5 being the average felt forces with bird shot comparable to both configurations. Bird shot feels pretty much the same in both.

Two configurations firing the same round winchester super x 3" magnum rifled slugs.

Stock Saiga 12:

Backward Force: 5

Muzzle Jump: 4.7

Concussive Force: 4.6

Converted Saiga 12 Jt Engineering Brake, and ATI Elite Stock with Scorpion Grip. (Sorry I haven't shot it with just the brake)

Backward Force: 2.4

Muzzle Jump: 1.1 note - less than bird shot.

Concussive Force: 2.6

• Like 1

Muzzle brakes reduce recoil mostly with weight. Personally, I'd want to keep my gun balanced (and have added some weight to the stock), so I'd try to get the heaviest that wouldn't make the gun balance too close to my foregrip.

In other words, if your gun is already front heavy, get the smaller one and if your gun is balanced or rear heavy, get the larger one. This means for most people, JTE makes the most sense unless you want to add more weight to the back.

Just my opinion though, don't shoot me :).

Again

dcgregorya

, I'ma have to disagree with this. Only badly designed brakes do more with weight when there is gas pressure to work with. That might be a true statement for light loads and birdshot, but the amount the brake does is directly related to the power of the shell. The brakes I have tried basically eliminate muzzle flip, or nearly do so, and reduce linear recoil down to a feeling similar to the next tier of shell weaker. 15 pelled OOB feels like 9 pellet OOB. 9 Pellet feels barely harder than birdshot, enough that I don't notice which in mixed mags unless I am paying attention.

Why- I wanted to eliminate my subjective perception, so I made some videos of a controlled test with several combinations of brakes and ammo. There were some flaws with my initial run of testing, so I haven't published. I am going to redo with a better test rig sometime soonish. (I am also looking for free or very cheap video editing software that works properly. PM me if you have suggestions.)

The initial tests make it clear that all of the brakes I tested eliminated about half of the linear force, and most or all of the flip. I do not notice any back blast when shooting, or increased noise. They seemed to be pretty close in the amount of reductions even though the 3 brakes had very different lengths and weights. (I tested bare threads, MD flash hider (little more than a pretty weight, and not a brake), a short steel one similar to MOLOT GK01, an aluminum one of similar design, and a very large steel one of similar design)

I cannot compare the effectiveness of them to the JTE or Tromix brakes, but I would sure like to. After I build a better test rig and redo the testing, I will publish the videos and also a spreadsheet of performance. I fully intend the system to be repeatable with other models so that we can get some objective comparisons of the various commercial offerings.

• Like 1

gun fun that sounds great. i hope you can get that comparison going. that said i have a monster break and i can tell a big difference with it. cant compare it to much with the jte break since i haven't shot one but i bet they are close in effectiveness. i will say that cleaning the moster break as said before sucks. i have yet to figure out a way to get all the crud out of the slots.

The difference is more noticeable when you compare very heavy loads.

If you want to see the difference in a bigger way, put a bunch of clays spread out on the berm. Then make yourself shoot them with mid power slugs as fast as you can. time yourself and do a few runs. Now do the same thing without the comp. You absolutely stay on target more with a good compensator and recover faster with.

Most of the cuts based ones I see don't look like they have much ability to revector gas, so I am skeptical about how much they work. pretty much everything on the end of a polychoke, or the SGM made ones fit into this category, but without testing, I can't know for sure. The chaos wave looks thin enough that I have similar concerns.

Again

dcgregorya

, I'ma have to disagree with this. Only badly designed brakes do more with weight when there is gas pressure to work with. That might be a true statement for light loads and birdshot, but the amount the brake does is directly related to the power of the shell. The brakes I have tried basically eliminate muzzle flip, or nearly do so, and reduce linear recoil down to a feeling similar to the next tier of shell weaker. 15 pelled OOB feels like 9 pellet OOB. 9 Pellet feels barely harder than birdshot, enough that I don't notice which in mixed mags unless I am paying attention.

Why- I wanted to eliminate my subjective perception, so I made some videos of a controlled test with several combinations of brakes and ammo. There were some flaws with my initial run of testing, so I haven't published. I am going to redo with a better test rig sometime soonish. (I am also looking for free or very cheap video editing software that works properly. PM me if you have suggestions.)

The initial tests make it clear that all of the brakes I tested eliminated about half of the linear force, and most or all of the flip. I do not notice any back blast when shooting, or increased noise. They seemed to be pretty close in the amount of reductions even though the 3 brakes had very different lengths and weights. (I tested bare threads, MD flash hider (little more than a pretty weight, and not a brake), a short steel one similar to MOLOT GK01, an aluminum one of similar design, and a very large steel one of similar design)

I cannot compare the effectiveness of them to the JTE or Tromix brakes, but I would sure like to. After I build a better test rig and redo the testing, I will publish the videos and also a spreadsheet of performance. I fully intend the system to be repeatable with other models so that we can get some objective comparisons of the various commercial offerings.

There isn't enough gas that the difference won't be weight. The monster brake will work better because it weighs more. Both will help with muzzle rise, both will help in general, but in a gas operated gun the porting differences won't be noticeable compared to the weight. And if you added additional weight it'd work even better, but you'd mess up the balance of the gun.

Edited by dcgregorya