Vepr 12 plastic heat test and parts cleaner

While I was degreasing my new Vepr, I discovered that parts cleaner will take the black paint right off.

I tested the rail and heat shield to 300 degree f. No softening or distorting.

On to the cerakoting...

• Like 2

The parts cleaner is O'Riley's brand brake cleaner. It was just the rail as it has been removed from the dust cover and gun. As a side note, I did not test the plastic of the mag well as it isn't going to be refinished.

One more thing. The rail is riveted on and the top of the dust cover under the rail has no finish. However, it did have a substantial amount of rust forming which was a surprise because my gun was covered in some sort of oil.

• Like 1

If you have to use a cleaner form a auto perts store use starter fluid to blast out residue.

I messed up an HK93 with break parts cleaner.

Yes. I would not use brake parts cleaner or starter fluid on anything with a finish I cared about without having a sample to test on. Brake Cleaner is as harsh as they come.

if you use brake parts cleaner aka gun scrubber

make sure it is non chrlorinated at least, but one thing I've noticed is that the stuff I used to get at NAPA that was nonchlorinated seems to be much more harsh now then it used to be, lightened up the park finish on my p238.

I only use the stuff on certain guns now.

look at the MSDS on gun scrubber and nonchrolo brake cleaner.

Edited by Syndicate

Starter fluid spray when used in the open works fine and is very cheap.

You just have to make sure you dry the weapon due to condensation after

Spraying cool starter fluid in a warm humid climate.

Beats the he'll out of gun scrubber$$$$$$$$$

1.25 a can

Carb cleaner is as harsh as they come B12 chemtool will eat up plastic and paint.

Works great on an unpainted bolt and all in the white goodies.

Edited by nib

Here are some of the pictures of the changes I made to the Vepr 12. Once I brok the gun down to its component pieces, I deburred each piece, then blasted the whole thing with 180 grit aluminum oxide and backed it at 250 degrees to remove any remaining contaminants.

I then sprayed the gun with SOCOM Blue Cerakote and baked all the pieces for 2 hours.

Once the gun was removed, I riveted the top trail back onto the dust cover with 5/32 solid steel rivets.

I then reassembled the gun and test fired it. Cerakote makes a huge difference in the feel of the action.

post-41717-0-67114000-1351804677_thumb.jpg

post-41717-0-49351700-1351804686_thumb.jpg

post-41717-0-08227700-1351804701_thumb.jpg

post-41717-0-06822700-1351804711_thumb.jpg

post-41717-0-99387100-1351804722_thumb.jpg