Molot Vepr 12 - VS - Steel shot?

I would not shoot it in my late 70's vintage Remington 1100, or my 60's SKB, or my 1903 L. C. Smith...

I have heard it is not good for certain guns. Excuse the ignorance here, but the only reason I use a shotgun is because the state of Iowa dictates I hunt deer with one! My daughter uses the aforementioned 1100 to hunt deer with me, the SKB sits in a safe, and the Elsie hangs on my wall.

Maybe a stupid question here, but will the Vepr 12 handle steel shot without damaging the barrel?

Do they typically make shot guns that you cant shoot steel shot in?

So am I to assume from your answer that it IS safe???

Its not so much a date thing as it is a barrel design thing. Steel shot was made mandatory around nineteen ninety, so almost any shotgun made in the us after that is pretty much gauranteed to handle steel shot just fine. Most shotguns before that date are also fine, though there are still some double barrels made today that you should not use steel shot in.

The concern is that steel shot does not compress, so it will deform, or spring, barrels with tight chokes, anything without a fixed choke should be fine. (and dont add a tight choke if you are shooting steel shot)

• Like 2

I would not shoot it in my late 70's vintage Remington 1100, or my 60's SKB, or my 1903 L. C. Smith...

I have heard it is not good for certain guns. Excuse the ignorance here, but the only reason I use a shotgun is because the state of Iowa dictates I hunt deer with one! My daughter uses the aforementioned 1100 to hunt deer with me, the SKB sits in a safe, and the Elsie hangs on my wall.

Maybe a stupid question here, but will the Vepr 12 handle steel shot without damaging the barrel?

Do they typically make shot guns that you cant shoot steel shot in?

So am I to assume from your answer that it IS safe???

Ok you got me there. Forgive me for jumping the gun. Yes in some older and antique rifles you should not use steel shot.

But any modern weapon these days is built to take all ammunition steel and lead. They even make(dont remember who, maybe several companies) some stuff that is supposed to be harder than steel. Its pretty pricey if I remember and i think some times its just over kill. Steel always works for me.

And as Rev said, when you buy a choke read up and learn how to use its settings. its not recommended to shoot some ammunition's through certain chokes.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

Thanks Chevyman! I don't know if I will ever use steel shot, but just wanted to know it wouldn't damage the barrel IF I do. I think if you hunt on public hunting areas that have water, you are required to use steel in this state. I don't plan on hunting ducks or geese anytime soon, but if I happen to end up hunting turkey in an area that I have to use steel in I am covered.

That would be tungsten shot.

Ok you got me there. Forgive me for jumping the gun. Yes in some older and antique rifles you should not use steel shot.

But any modern weapon these days is built to take all ammunition steel and lead. They even make(dont remember who, maybe several companies) some stuff that is supposed to be harder than steel. Its pretty pricey if I remember and i think some times its just over kill. Steel always works for me.

And as Rev said, when you buy a choke read up and learn how to use its settings. its not recommended to shoot some ammunition's through certain chokes.

• Like 1

They do make a lot of tight chokes that are rated for steel shot though.

If you are buying a choke tighter than full it will usually be on the packaging and often etched into the choke whether or not steel is ok.