My first Romanian AKM

I picked up my first Romanian AKM yesterday and after putting 130 rounds through it at the range I have to say im very impressed.First off I have to say im in the UK so it is a straight pull version with the gas system disabled to comply with the no semi-auto ruling, but hay-ho an AK is an AK....

Whilst the finish isnt quite as good as my Saiga it shot perfectly straight from the box with no adjustment of the iron sights needed.The front sight is very slightly canted to the left but not enough to warrant altering it,plus it adds to the charm! :).

It has been fitted with genuine Soviet furniture by the UK dealer and came with a cleaning kit,sling,cleaning rod, one 10r polymer waffle mag and a 30r Izhmash bakelite mag.It also has a Soviet muzzle brake, the bayonet lugs are intact and it has mag well dimples and the stamping for the 3rd axis pin on the receiver plus the rear sight is marked out to 1000m.Heres a few pics, the one of the target is 70rounds at 50m with open sights, straight from the box with no sight adjustment :)

post-44524-0-74492900-1352359139_thumb.jpg

post-44524-0-98273200-1352359174_thumb.jpg

post-44524-0-62583500-1352359223_thumb.jpg

post-44524-0-27526200-1352359306_thumb.jpg

Edited by richUK
  • Like 1

Very nice! I like romanian AKs but sometime, here, theyre put together quick and have some issues. I have a rifle similar to your saiga that I'm thinking of shortening the barrel on and adding a flash hider. Too bad about the semi auto deal though...

about as close as you can come to a straight pull AK here was a pump action AK called the PAR-1. it was imported by CENTURY from Romania, the theory behind it was it was suppose to be a big seller in states like CA. but even the Californians didn't want something like that, needless to say it was a big flop. somewhere out there is a small warehouse full of these things, about the only use anybody could have for them is the barrel, since no intact foreign barrels can be imported, the US made ones are way overpriced and junk.

I mean how sad is that, we use to be a manufacturing giant, now we can't even make a decent foreign made copy of a barrel to the same spec.

oh hell, what I am saying? they can't even make good AK trigger parts, let alone make a good x39 barrel.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Glad you joined the Kalashnikov brotherhood. Yes the straightpull most likely adds to the accuracy. However if you were shooting at a certain range, you may not notice a loss in accuracy so much.

You should come to the states and fire one semi-auto, different ball game. Or go to a 3rd world country and shoot one that is the real deal. Either way, people underestimate the AK system as a whole. Usually because 3rd world morons go running around on full auto all most all the time. This isn't call of duty, kiss your accuracy goodbye. :)

Glad you joined the Kalashnikov brotherhood. Yes the straightpull most likely adds to the accuracy. However if you were shooting at a certain range, you may not notice a loss in accuracy so much.

Took it out to 100m at the range today and it shot more or less the same as it did at 50m, the target looked pretty much identical to the one in the above pic so im happy :)

I have 2 Romanian AK47s and love shooting them. I can not compare with other brands since I never owned other AK. Unless you count my S12 as one. I never had any problems with them. I owned one of them for 18 years.

I love the color of the wood on your AK. Looks sharp!

Edited by ultra7350