Wood Finish on Original Black Plastic Stock

Some people have shown interest in getting wood stocks for their Saiga

.410s. Here is the result of my little project in refinishing the original stock to look like wood. Had problem at first finding a suitable brown. Found what I wanted at Walmart, a spray can for $1.99, Krylon 8147, Ultra Flat, Medium Brown. After spraying the stock with a good coat to cover the black, I put on a coat of water based satin eurythane varnish. I then wiped on Fiebing's Medium Brown leather dye. Another coat of varnish. Final coat of Johnson's paste wax. Between each application I allowed to dry two hours in the sun.

Before doing this to the stock, I checked out the products to be sure they would stick to the plastic stock and not dissolve the previous coat. I found the Krylon spray color to be very durable when rubbed with steel wool. I recco getting some experience by doing a dry run on scrap and develop a bit of a technique. Wiping the leather dye in one direction, with more or less (varying) density simulates the wood figure. If you get too much you can wipe it off to some extent with alcohol on a rag. You can get a professional looking job if you remove the mold marks from the stock beforehand with a file and then sanding smooth. Email me if more info is needed: rhmc24@swbell.net

post-4-1051477011.jpg

Looks great! :super: I 'm not a big fan of wood myself :( - BUT man! - If you did not say that this is paint - you would have never guessed!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...