MD-20 drums in a VEPR 12? Unpossible....

wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZyHQfa1no

evl....

The DIY tutorial has been posted on youtube, for those of you who want to make your own adapter.

http://www.youtube.com/user/evlblkwpnz

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

LOL, I'm holding it like that because there is so little handguard there and I am used to holding the SBS like that. I have to admit it does look weird. That strange look on my face was me thinking "Hmmm.... how the hell am I going to hold this thing now?". I was missing the stupid hot dog bun S12 handguard for a minute there, lol. (I never thought I would ever say that)

The feed angle is perfect and the drum seats exactly as it would in a Saiga 12. The mag locks in solid. The means I used to get the feed angle correct was very simple. The design is made from one piece of 1 1/4" angle, a screw, and a nut.

We shot a total of 160 rounds out of it last night with drums. I haven't done any friction reduction and it doesn't like the added resistance of the drum with the ammo I was using. There were some FTE (about 8-10 of 160), but it was the only ammo available at the range. The extractor slot needs a little work too as I was getting a few FTF with this ammo (around 5 of 160). Really, I just wanted to see how this would work on an unrefined V12. It was cheap and quick. I am going to go into more detail on it somewhere else. The design is made from one piece of 1 1/4" angle, a screw, and a nut. I will probably refine the action and do some other stuff before I get any new video of it. I have another video that I may post, but there were FTE.

Just to be clear, I respect the fact that this was indeed your idea and commend you on it. You certainly deserve full credit for the concept and you are welcome to use any aspect of the design that you wish when you see it, but I assume what you are doing is probably quite a bit more involved. I decided to try it, and I was at the range testing it about 2 hours later, including travel time, so it isn't a work of art, lol. I personally don't care for it, but was curious to see how easy it would be to do. It was easy and works great, but I want some mags that will work with the magwell and LRBHO.... bring those mags SGM!

ETA: I was surprised at how easy it was to load on a unrefined closed bolt.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I did the same thing to my saiga ver 030 to use a drum. I wound like to fit a five round magwell mag to the top of the md drum with no permeant mods. With some more dummy rounds and the metal clip off the top of the drum it should work fine if the angle is matched. It would be great if a vendor sold an adapter for the magwell guns.

It would be great if a vendor sold an adapter for the magwell guns.

I feel the same way. Build something for whats available without a lot of trouble to use it. Thats where the extended market is.

Me too, but I'm sure any offerings will cost and arm and a leg. That seems to be the trend with many V12 related items, except for the SGM V12 mags. I'll probably just make my own adapter because I'm a miserly old bastard, lol. I think I might teach myself how to weld aluminum.... sounds like a good start. Either that or I need some Delrin and a couple of hours on the mill. Probably a combo of the two. I have a decent design worked out in my little pea-sized brain ;) I think I may have found a way to make drums adapt to the magwell and activate the LRBHO, but it is very iffy. Time and money.... right now both are in short supply. Speaking of gun money, I have to go dig a ditch....

I know what you mean about the extractor slot... When these bitches FTE & jam a spent shell in the side there.... errrrrrrr! lol happy.png

Have you ever fired any Federal Heavy Field Load? The stuff has a high brass base and looks like it might be good. However, the hulls seem brittle and easily tear when they hit that slot. It was skinning them back like a carrot. The Multi-Purpose hulls are much stiffer and thicker feeling. Yep, this thing needs some TLC. I have to say that the V12 has performed better out of the box than any Saiga 12 I ever owned and fired before I converted. I was scared that there wouldn't be much room for improvement on the V12s, but that certainly isn't the case. I like working on this stuff more than shooting it.

I fired some federal high brass game loads. It kinda likes those. It launches 3" magnum hulls into the stratosphere, but likes those too out of the stick mags.

I'm pretty sure everything would be "tits" with the MD-20 if I just did GlassBolt on the bolt, but I'm trying everything else first like micro-adjustments to the feed angle, to try to get the drums 100% without doing GlassBolt.

My main issue is testing. I have to drive 50 miles out to test, and although beautiful, the last 2 times it was in the high 30's or low 40's with driving rain, which makes it rather hard to focus while doing field adjustments. What they call a hurricane on your side of the country, they call November over here. lol

I'll be looking into the laws regarding putting a tubular bullet trap in my basement, because this testing shit's killing me. There's only 1 range that allows drummed up shotguns to be worked like they should be for testing purposes, and that's a ways out too, & has range nazis.

Range nazis aren't my cup-o-tea.

• Like 1

I fired some federal high brass game loads. It kinda likes those. It launches 3" magnum hulls into the stratosphere, but likes those too out of the stick mags.

I'm pretty sure everything would be "tits" with the MD-20 if I just did GlassBolt on the bolt, but I'm trying everything else first like micro-adjustments to the feed angle, to try to get the drums 100% without doing GlassBolt.

My main issue is testing. I have to drive 50 miles out to test, and although beautiful, the last 2 times it was in the high 30's or low 40's with driving rain, which makes it rather hard to focus while doing field adjustments. What they call a hurricane on your side of the country, they call November over here. lol

I'll be looking into the laws regarding putting a tubular bullet trap in my basement, because this testing shit's killing me. There's only 1 range that allows drummed up shotguns to be worked like they should be for testing purposes, and that's a ways out too, & has range nazis.

Range nazis aren't my cup-o-tea.

To do it legally, I'm pretty sure they are going to require some degree of filtration like an indoor range. It gets expensive quick, but your lack of need to turn over a large interior volume of air could be advantageous when it comes to the equipment and size and number of filters. Make it as small as possible. EPA will likely require some means of a serviceable bullet trap and lead containment area too and some record keeping of what would resemble proper disposal. Prepare to be under the scrutiny of inspections. Local Fire department will probably have to take a peek and sign off before you are legit, and potentially have visits to make sure all is well, especially if there are any law or code changes that affect your situation. This shit is ridiculous and the initial investment can be staggering, especially if all you want to do is test fire a few times a week. This is how it works here in FL, but you may find a way to work some Fire Department connections if you have some there. I would start there as they probably know about what the other authorities are going to require and you could probably stay under the radar if you decide to pursue other means of "making it happen". I am very fortunate to drive 15 minutes to an indoor range with anytime access and another 15 to a private outdoor range with a full 3G setup. I had to deal with having almost nowhere the legally shoot for so long that I have a great appreciation for my connections now.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

A place where I may be able to help. As for legalities of installing a trap go, look into portable traps. They are used very frequently indoors for things like concealed weapons classes and weapons test firing, but since they are not part of the structure, require no modfication for installation, and are built to governmental codes by the manufacturer the rules are completely different.

There are units that go from a couple hundred all the way up to "DAMN!!!!!" in price. You can also construct your own based off of specifications and requirements found online, but I would recommend going with a companies product simply to placate insurance companies. If there were a failure on your homemade product and caused a loss you may not be covered. If a professionally made product fails then they would be liable of the failure was in workmanship or product.

• Like 1