Chinese 100rd drum or just 30rd stick mags

I bought a 75r drum and thats heavy enough when loaded and it rattles like hell, so can only assume a 100r drum is heavier and rattlier!.I bought it because they are relatively cheap here in the UK and i wanted one to go with my other mags it was brand new still in the wrapping.Here in the UK our AK's are straight pull only :( , so on the range the 75r drum meant i didnt have to reload so often, plus a drum mag may be handy if the shtf,the AK's were 'opened up' and suppressing fire was needed! ;)

For a semi-automatic rifle, it's just a novelty.

Too heavy for practical use, but fairly desirable from a collector's perspective.

+1 to that.

Great for the pictures, Ooh-ah factor is about it.

Collectable, yes, own one if you wish. But for shooting purpose, that's alot of 30rd mags you can buy.

I saw some at Knob Creek yesterday. You can get 120rnds(4 30rnders) in the same space as 1 100rnd drum. Only advantage I can see, whether at the range or tactically, is in the number of mag swaps needed. But $44 vs $250? I'll swap mags thank you.

A 75rnd drum is a better deal as they take up about 4 20rnd mags worth of space. So you're only loosing 5rnds but gaining 3 mag swaps at a 1/3 or less of the 100rnd price.

But if you're collecting, go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.ive had no problems with mine, but i haven't used it in years, the 86 dollar a case OTD price at gunshows are over. mine came with the rifle with a mag. but that was so long ago i can't remmber what year i got it.

rpkandcarolynsbday004.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rpkandcarolynsbday005.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community. what does that mean? ive always used image shack.

I just picked up a 75rnd for $80. But, yeah, all reviews make me think its a range toy. As a range toy, I wasnt gonna get one until next year, but figured they were gonna either disappear or triple in price. I wasnt counting on both, glad I got one. But if you need reliable combat mags first, a drum is the last thing you need.

I agree with much of what has already been said. Drums are ok in a military application where you're in a fairly fixed position and giving suppressive or cover fire, usually with full auto bursts. In that scenario, they'll allow a mag fed weapon to serve in place of a belt fed weapon, albeit not as well IMO.

But for semi auto range time, they're too bulky, heavy and noisy for most people. Yeah, I've got one. what.gifhaha.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 100rd drun before and sold it because it was so damn big it was very awkward to reach the fore grip, it is O.K. for use with a bipod but not practical otherwise. The 75 rd drum is much easier to handle though both work just fine I like stick mags better for all around usefullness.