saiga 7.62x39 vent holes?

alright i have a fully converted saiga (accept for muzzle break and cleaning rod) and i have a non ported gas tube on it with a handgaurd retainer for the upper handgaurd....i noticed the old gas tube didnt have port holes either but other akm rifles have ported gas block or tube........is their advantages to having ported gas system? if so could i just drill a couple holes in the gas tube and be good? any additional info? thanks

i would be weary about drilling into your gas tube, unless you are prepared to buy a new one. did something similar on an sks a few years ago and it has been a bolt action rifle ever since.

If im not mistaken venting excess gas is usually more important when running a suppressor, because more gas pressure is being pushed back into the system, therefore some needs to get out to avoid malfunction.

Does your rifle shoot and function normally under the conditions you plan to use it?

If so i wouldnt vent it, unless ou are running a suppressor.

Yes indeed. Venting the holes on the gas tube past the gas block will not affect the rifle in a bad way at all. All the needed gas pressure is at the gas block it self and that is all that is needed for the piston the rack back. Either find a vented gas tube or vent it your self like i did it will run cleaner and cooler.

You have 4 holes in your front gas block that work fine already. They are located where the tube fits into the front gas block. If you create more ventilation, you run a serious risk of under gassing. Unless you are prepared to buy another gas tube, just leave it how it is.

IIRC, the CHICOMs tend to have vent holes in their "gas tube". Said "gas tube" is unlike an AR gas tube and is more properly a piston-guide-tube; there was a Youtube discussed of a guy shooting an AK without the tube installed at all?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/8672-video-of-ak-shooting-with-no-gas-tube-installed/

And here....

http://ultimak.com/ShortGasTube.htm

Edited by nfafan

Buy a vented gas tube or keep the stock one. Having excess gases blowing out isnt all that cool. It works fine as people will tell you but it has its drawbacks. More pron to debree and dirt getting in the vent holes. Most people try and limit the muzzle flash, or excess gases because in a real firefight giving away your position isnt a good thing. Big flashes when your trying to see your targert(especially at night) in your sights or optic wont be beneficial... just my two cents. Either system works

IIRC, the CHICOMs tend to have vent holes in their "gas tube". Said "gas tube" is unlike an AR gas tube and is more properly a piston-guide-tube; there was a Youtube discussed of a guy shooting an AK without the tube installed at all?

http://forum.saiga-1...tube-installed/

And here....

http://ultimak.com/ShortGasTube.htm

Thats correct as Chinese Type 56's use the same style gas tube as the original AK-47's.

Buy a vented gas tube or keep the stock one. Having excess gases blowing out isnt all that cool. It works fine as people will tell you but it has its drawbacks. More pron to debree and dirt getting in the vent holes. Most people try and limit the muzzle flash, or excess gases because in a real firefight giving away your position isnt a good thing. Big flashes when your trying to see your targert(especially at night) in your sights or optic wont be beneficial... just my two cents. Either system works

Oh come one man. You can barly see the flash and it only comes out like a quarter inch. And for dirt gettin inside the ventholes.......its an ak-47. Nuf said.